? Very soft stool from clavamox, anything to help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pennie & Chloe, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chloe is into a few days of clavamox for UTI. Is there anything I can give her to help with loose stool? She is also CKD and gets fluids daily so an injectable is also an option. Thanks.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Antibiotics are really bad about causing diarrhea because the kill the "good" bacteria in the intestines as well as the bad ones. A lot of us use Forti Flora which is a probiotic that puts some of that good bacteria back

There are other probiotics you can use too...the important part is to just replace the bacteria in the intestines to help calm down the loose stools.

Pennie & Chloe likes this.
  3. I've been sprinkling that on her wet food which she ate some this morning...but this evening she walked away...this girl and her food issues...makes me so crazy.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Give the probiotic a couple hours after the antibiotic.

5. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

You could also try giving some PLAIN Greek yogurt.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Also, a teaspoon of plain pumpkin (not pie filling) can help provide some form to the feces and soak up excess liquid.

7. She had a few licks of wet food with the forti flora this morning and threw up. A few minutes later she had some dry and kept that down. I'll try the yogurt and pumpkin. I've tried feeding her the soulistic pumpkin soup before with no luck. She may be more inclined to go for the yogurt. I never know with her tho so I'll get both. Thanks.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

With pumpkin, make sure it's not pie filling (which has sugar added). Some cats (e.g., mine) don't care for pumpkin. Others, of course, love the stuff. Baby food squash also has the same fiber as pumpkin and may be more palatable.

If FortiFlora isn't doing the trick, there's a bigger bang for the buck probiotic, ReNew Ultimate. I've found it at Whole Foods or some vitamin/supplement specialty stores. It's also available online. (You start with 1/3 of a capsule twice a day.)

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I also use Renew Ultimate Critical Care...I buy it at GNC. I just put it in Gracie's food and she never hesitates to eat so it's either flavorless or she likes the taste. I actually give it to her all the time.

The other thing you can do...although it is expensive..is to buy the packets of pumpkin from Weruva. You can buy them at petco. It's just a smaller amount but it might be cheaper to buy a can of pumpkin even if you have to throw a lot of it away.

SpecklesandMe and Pennie & Chloe like this.
  10. Louellen

Louellen Member

Hmmmm...since she's also feeling nauseous, along with the diarrhia, I'd give the vet a call and see if there's an alternative antibiotic for Chloe. Sounds like the side effects are causing more trouble than they're curing. Usually (not always) there's an alternative med to try.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  11. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

There's Rapid Care GI (http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Care-G-I-Dogs-Cats-60/dp/B004OA5XZY) or other pectin-based products for cats with diarrhea. There's also alternative probiotics like Proviable or Animal Essential Probiotics with enzymes, but I agree with Louellen that at this point, you prob ought to just call the vet and consider other options. If they did a culture and sensitivity, they might already have a backup list.

Louellen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.