? Vet Appt: Testing to ask for... Testing to avoid.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph M, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph M

Steph M New Member

Open Question: What type of blood work would/have you asked to be done on your kitty when you want to determine what is causing the diabetes? What testing did you pass on and why?

Specific Cat situation.....
    Comet: Not responding to Lantus, so we are onto the next stage of Comet's treatment: Texas A&M Small Clinic. Appointment is Monday and they will likely be recommending various blood work and testing.

Previous test: Urinary Analysis 20Jan16. Organs fine no sign of infection. Results show high glucose.

Recent observations:
    • October took to vet because acting lethargic, high food and water consumption. Found high BG, normal organ functions. Small blood work panel done. Tried to change diet first before insulin.
    • October/November was not eating enough wet food to transition to wet food diet. BG lower due to not eating. No insulin.
    • November started Young Again dry food, still not eating daily requirements regularly. BG high. Neg for ketones. No insulin.
    • Late December started Lantus insulin.
    • January food intake regular. Some positive behavior changes. Still drinking a ton. UA showed no signs of kidney problems.
    • Late January/February up to 2.5u and now eating above daily requirements, drinking a ton, but not gaining any weight and avoiding jumping. Walking gait is normal.
    Insulin 1st day Curve (1u) when not eating in December:
    upload_2016-2-6_14-40-37.png

Mid-January Curve (2u):
    upload_2016-2-6_14-47-33.png

Hoping to get a curve tomorrow to show 2.5u.

Attached Files:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I myself would for time being just increase dose. I would not be concerned unless you see similar BGa at 5 or more units.
    Those BGs are not bad at all on the dose you are giving except for the 16 Jan curve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.