Vet demands I buy Alpha trak!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lorie and Leroy, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorie and Leroy

Lorie and Leroy New Member

I took Leroy to the Vet yesterday and brought my spreadsheet with me. I explained that I dropped his dosage from 3 units to 1 unit as he had dropped down into the green within a few days and I have been slowly adjusting insulin dosage depending on the reading. I brought my Human BG Contour Next One with me to compare results. The same drop of blood gave my test 11 mmol and the vets reading 18 mmol on the Alpha Trak. She wasn't impressed that I had taken matters into my own hands. She said that if I wanted to test him I should use the Alpha Trak meter. I gave up trying to justify my actions to her about this forum and all the great advice I've been given and how the spreadsheet I'm using is for a human meter. She also said to stop adjusting the dosage and keep him at 1.5 units. If it is too low then skip the shot.

On a side note. I found the insulin on the counter in the morning. No air conditioning. I'm not sure it is still working. His readings have been high since then. I will do a curve today to test it.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Personally I love my alpha, and now there are strips called petsure that can be used with it and are less than half the price of the Alphatrak strips.

I have been using insulinx strips from eBay for $11-15 for 50 strips. They are very accurate as well. I also have alpha strips to compare them with and if I want to double check a reading.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Elizabeth and Bertie and Sylvie like this.
  3. Lorie and Leroy

Lorie and Leroy New Member

Thanks I will check them out.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I've used a human meter for testing for well over 7 years - never had an issue keeping either one of 'da sugarboyz' safe. Sometimes you have to learn to just smile, nod...and go home and do what you know is right. My vet and I agreed years ago - I treat the diabetes, he treats anything else.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My vet had never used a human meter. He’s older and very old school but willing to learn. He became a believer and told me I managed Max better than any client he’s had. He asked that I email the ss every few weeks and he showed it to his 3rd year students whenever they spent a week at his practice. I couldn’t have done it without this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.