(?)VET VISIT IN AM 10/14 Sushi: AMPS~282 | PMPS~244

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14), Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14)

Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14) Member

Good Evening!
    Hope you're all doing well! I thought we were in the clear with Sushi not eating in my last post, but the struggle has resurfaced. I was gone for a good 12 hours straight unexpectedly last Saturday, and it seems that threw his eating back into a tailspin. He'll lick the food, but barely eats any. When he eats out of my hand, about 1/2 of his bite ends up falling out of his mouth as he chews. His eating is slowly getting better, but we're definitely not back to normal yet.

Other than that:
    He seems to have calmed down; his rowdy behavior has stopped and he actually lets me sleep at night! ; )
    His numbers have also been a bit wonky...we've definitely had some bumps this week.

>>Here's tonight's major question: I made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning. Sushi needs his annual vaccines, and we're just due for a vet visit in general. But riding in the car and going to the vet STRESSES him out in the worst way!! It seems his eating issues are stress-related. I'm afraid the stress of going to the vet will send him back to square one with not eating.
    This is why I haven't brought him to the vet yet.
    Should I postpone his appointment until he's back to eating normally?

2. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

I'm not one of the wise ones, but here's what i think...
    I've been dealing with food issues with binks for the first time...and so i feel your concern...

If it were me & binks, and the only reason for the vet visit is vaccinations and general checkup...I would delay until i got
    him back on track eating. I'm sure there will be much more in depth questions and input from others...but my questions would be...
    is sushi indoor/outdoor...or around other cats, making the vaccinations really important...
    and is there something the vet might spot during checkup that might be contributing to feeding issues...like needing a dental?

it might be that getting his checkup could shed some light on his inappetence..

sorry...i haven't read the previous info on feeding issues...

celi

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi ashley - couple of things

- could he have any teeth problems? if he's having trouble managing the food in his mouth, maybe he has a sore tooth or something. does he move away if you scratch different areas around his mouth?

- i might keep the appt but focus on the not-eating aspect. if it were me, i wouldn't give vaccines to a cat that isn't 100%. that's not based upon anything except my gut feeling.

glad to hear he's letting you sleep at night! hopefully he's getting used to the new place!

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Sorry, no advice on that one, just giving you a bump. I know how frustrating it can be when they refuse to eat.

5. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

julie hit the nail on the head...

personally...and binks is a total indoor guy, goes out in the yard for a supervised hour a day...
    has two adopted sisters that are indoor outdoor...
    BUT: a great vet we had 10 years ago had concerns about vaccinations contributing to cancer, and since my cats are indoor...i havent vaccinated binks in 10 years.

the girls are dedicated indoor/outdoor...so i did vaccinate them, but not binks.

and i truly agree with julie...
    i wouldnt vaccinate a cat that isnt feeling 100%.

i think it might be a great idea & worth the stress to get the vet to look at reasons Sushi might not be eating...

6. julie & punkin (ga)

i've pretty much decided to stop vaccinating mine because they are inside only. the only problem might arise if you needed them to stay at the vet's overnight and they got exposed to something there.

dr lisa has a column on vaccinations - i'll look and see if i can find the link. she had some specific recommendations.

7. julie & punkin (ga)

8. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do vaccines or a vet trip unless its to diagnose the not eating. I would put it off for a couple of weeks.

9. Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14)

Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14) Member

Good morning!
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the replies! I didn't expect any since I posted so late last night. I'm just hopping on on my phone while I wait for Sushi to finish "eating" so I can dose him.
    I didn't think vets allowed you to skip vaccines. I thought they would refuse to allow your pet in their facility without vaccines; and therefore refuse to care for your pet.
    Sushi is indoor only. I open the windows from time to time... And I do have another cat. That I haven't had vaccinated since I adopted her from a friend ~3+ years ago? She's so feisty I'm terrified to attempt a vet visit with her.

I'm going to rule out teeth issues. Sushi still loves being pet around the mouth. Plus, he'll eat dry food, remember? I would think dry food would be a big problem if his teeth were bothering him.
    I really think it's stress related; the fact that things went back to square one after I was gone all day last Saturday being my main reason for thinking so.
    I'm very concerned that the stress caused by the vet visit will undo the progress we've made with his eating...

10. Ollie(GA) & Patsy

Ollie(GA) & Patsy Member

Some states do require vaccines. In Massachusetts rabies vaccine is required by state law and the vet will not treat without proof you have had it done.

11. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I didn't vaccinate Maverick for about five years. He had reactions to vaccines.

If you have to do vaccinations, I would still delay until Sushi is 100% unless you are bringing him in for something that can help him right now.

12. julie & punkin (ga)

ashley, i'd encourage you to read the page i linked for you about vaccines. if you do need to get them, there are directions on which ones (types of vaccines) are safer than others and how to administer them (as low as possible on an extremity).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.