? Vet visit tmrw. - can you take a look at BG # progress?’s?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sandscout, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandscout

sandscout Member

Hi there,
    My Scout is seeing the vet tomorrow. I’m posting to ask if any of you would mind taking a look at Scout’s SS and giving me any advice, feedback or your comments.

I’ve learned how to take BG readings, I do morning AMPT and evening PMPT without, hopefully, traumatizing him Trying to keep him from running away from me when he sees me. It never used to be like this.
    Add to that I’ve been really sick the past 2 months, that’s the best I’ve been able to do.
    A few times I got in a test at + 3 or +4, and the # has always fallen between 60 and 80.

I’ve read a lot of information on this site, and made diet changes, tried to keep as good records as I can - I changed his food to canned LID venison, small meals (6) over 24 hours period, & giving Cerenia & Zofran daily, & pain meds when he’s in discomfort, for a bad pancreatitis flare-up.

I work on following the SLGS protocol with Lantus, making dosage adjustments after AMPT and PMPT before shooting, I just haven’t been able to do the extra testing so many other times during the day.

If I didn’t have the FDMB I’d be flying blind for sure. I’ve learned a lot from following posts and reading of others’ experiences here. I would just like to get your guys’ feedback, what your take on his progress is.

Thank you for any insight you can share,

~ sandscout~

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

On the overall he looks ok

With SLGS you do not need to do many extra testing during the day, but you need to try and make a curve once a week, maybe on the weekends or when you have time, to start getting an idea of what his nadir is (lower BG during the day), with SLGS you need that information to make the dose adjustments properly because with Lantus you adjust based on his nadir not your pre shoot test results.

Also since you are already getting some greens (under 100) I do suggest you try and get a test before you go to bed +2 or +3 after his night shoot just to make sure he's safe and not going too low because kitties tend to go lower during the night.

And don't worry about traumatizing him they really do get used to the testing with time and the proper reward after each test he may eventually even volunteer for it

3. sandscout

sandscout Member

Veronica, thank you for your feedback,
    I hadn’t considered testing him before I go to bed at 9:00 pm - reason being that he has a small snack of wet food then, and one at 2:00 a.m. when he gets his Cerenia.
    I wasn’t sure about the food affecting test results. But I can if that’s required.

I’ll pick a weekend day to do a curve.
    Will a 12-hour curve give me the information I need, given that he has a small bit (3 Tablesppons, really) of wet food at 9:30 and a small lunchtime feeding?

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

The only test you need to do without feeding him for two hours previous to the test is the pre shoot test, that is so that you can be sure your result is not food influenced and is safe to give him insulin.

The rest of the tests you do during the day you do them feeding him regularly giving him his snacks just like you do every day and also for the curve you let him have his day just like any other just testing every 2 hours (it doesn't matter if he ate or not previous to the test ) if you are going to do the 12 hour curve, the idea of the other tests is to see how his body is reacting to insulin on his normal activities and with food included and determine how low he goes during the day

Actually the test before going to bed is a precaution, if spite him having a snack you see his values going down fast you know then he has to be monitored more and you need to prepare a lot of coffee because it may be a long night but the important thing is to make sure he's ok

5. sandscout

sandscout Member

Ok, I will do this, I am grateful for your help. Thank you,

Scout & Susan

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.