Vet Visit Tomorrow, Dose Advice

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Audrey F., Feb 7, 2019.

1. Audrey F.

Audrey F. New Member

Hi everyone, Dude has been on daily insulin (Vetsulin) for about a month now and we're making slow progress. His insulin started at one unit and now we're up to 2 units, twice daily. We're heading to the vet tomorrow (Fri 2/8) to go over his numbers. I'm curious about why his numbers are finally getting down into the 300's but then shooting back up way into the 500's? I've read about actually too high of a dose of insulin can cause "bouncing" but I'm not sure how to recognize that.
    (I'm asking here because I've learned the most valuable information through this forum vs my vet who never even spoke to me about home testing! yikes)

**Update, just did his +4 from his morning shot and we're at 267! First time in the 200's
    Thanks!
    Audrey & The Dude

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

i like those yellows. The middle cycle numbers should come down a bit more once the dose is closer to his "good dose". With Vetsulin you want those lows to be in the high 90s or low 100s, no lower. The highs at pre shot are likely due to rebound from the strong action of Vetsulin. I'd try hard to use 0.25 u dose increases,not 0.5 u increases. You can eyeball those quarter units on your syringe.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Audrey F. likes this.
  3. Audrey F.

Audrey F. New Member

Thanks! Yeah I'm thinking he needs more but was worried about these big swings. Today was the first time he's dropped into the 200's but +10 he was just at 497. I'll see what the Vet says but I think I may try the .25 increase next. How many days on a new dose should I give it to regulate and see if he needs another increase?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If a dose looks fairly good (as judged by the lows, not the PSs) you can keep it longer. If the lows are still yellow or high blues you can increase by 0.25 u after 4 cycles or so.

5. Audrey F.

Audrey F. New Member

ok, thanks for your help!

Kris & Teasel likes this.