Vitamin B-12 methylcobalamin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nancy C, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy C

Nancy C Member

I started giving Gus the vitacost B-12 about a week ago. I'm just wondering what results others have had with this vitamin. Gus and I went to the vet yesterday and saw Dr. F who initially diagnosed Gus bilateral perinephric psuedo cysts. I showed him Gus recent numbers and he doesn't have an explanation for Gus being suddenly NOT diabetic but then again, he said there is nothing usual about Gus. Anyway, just thought I'd ask about how others and their babies are faring with this vitamin. Dr. F noted Gus had weakness in his hind legs and thinks its from the high numbers he had (at 549 bs at one point) but since they didn't do fructosamine test we don't know how long he had the diabetes. Hoping the B-12 helps my guy. He jumps up on things just needs to get his "sea legs" when he gets up. And I just want to say if it weren't for this board, I think I'd be in the looney bin by now!!! :)

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

When I adopted Spot (GA) several years ago, she had severe neuropathy and her diabetes was not being treated. Her neurapathy was so bad, she could barely walk. I immediately started her on insulin and the methyl b12. Within a couple months she was able to start jumping & running. Within 6 months you would have never suspected that she had been in such bad shape. Every cat is different, but the methyl b-12 will help.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,

Bertie had neuropathy which continued to get worse after his diagnosis (his blood glucose numbers were very high). But on the advice of people here I started him on methyl B12 (we used Zobaline) and in a little over a month were seeing real results - despite his numbers remaining high. It really was quite remarkable. He recovered completely.

I think I read recently that folic acid helps it to be absorbed, though we managed just fine without that.

And exercise helps too... bcatrun_gif

Eliz

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, it is amazing how quickily the neuropathy can respond to the methyl B-12. From hardly being able to walk, flat down on their back hocks, no jumping, stopping every few steps to rest because it hurts so much, to a month later and trying to jump to the top of the 6 foot tall bookcase.

Wink gets into everything now, and goes exploring in fun places. His most recent trick is to jump up on the nightstand, then up onto the radio/alarm clock and change the time, reset the alarm,turn the radio on. I had to put something on top of the clock so he couldn't keep changing the settings. :oops:

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hows Gus BG now? Hows the OTJ trial going?

vitacost B-12 - is that methylcobalamin version of B-12? It needs to be that specific type. Also you want to make sure there is no xylitol in them as that is toxic to cats.

Anyway the methylcobalamin is one of these things that takes 6-8 weeks to work.

Wendy

6. Missy & Jazz

Missy & Jazz New Member

Hi Nancy,

I know what you mean with the loony bin comment! I feel similar - so thankful for the support here :mrgreen:

I recently posted this elsewhere in reply to another member, but since it's relevant, I will re-post here (hope you don't mind, just in a bit of a rush and figured I've already typed it all up :lol: ) I admit I really didn't think much was happening at first, but I would say give it at least a month, and see if Gus has improved in that time - it took a little longer for Jazz to make 'real' improvements, but I'm sooooo glad we persisted!

**Also, I thought this was a great idea - my vet recommended I take film footage (just with a digitial camera - or whatever you have/can borrow) of Jazz 'before' and 'after'... so I have the 'movie clip' of Jazz BEFORE we started insulin/B12 as a control, and then I make new little 'AFTER' films every now and then (or when I can actually catch her with the camera running about, etc!! :roll: ) of her jumping/walking/using stairs/running/etc.
    It's a really good way of being able to objectively compare her movement at different times, and it's proof that changes are/aren't occurring (can also be showed to your vet.. :cool: ) I find it's very hard to accurately remember/describe exactly what her movement was like, and then contrast that with how she is now, and having the film footage avoids that problem entirely! :smile: Maybe that might be useful for you/Gus too?

My cat Jazz also has diabetic neuropathy, so I completely understand about the symptoms you describe and the worrying you are going through. It's really is an awful thing to watch your cat slipping around and having trouble just walking :sad:

Jazz had a lot of apparent stiffness in her hindlegs/hindquarters, and her back legs were slipping out from under her when she was walking around. When she was going somewhere, every few metres, she'd lie down on the floor to rest. She avoided jumping and even had trouble squatting to go to the toilet at one stage. It was terrible, and I hated to see her like that. :cry:

When she was diagnosed with diabetes at the vet, the vet thought that she had age-related osteo-arthritis (Jazz is 17 and only had 'stiffness' at that stage, the actual slipping/trembling developed almost immediately after the vet visit for some reason). She was prescribed custom compounded drugs (combination pain relief and anti-inflammatory I think) but I did a lot of reading and research before picking them up, and found the info about B12 that has already been mentioned here. (for more info, do read Jasper's page here if you haven't already: http://www.laurieulrich.com/jasper/ ). I explained it all to the vet (who wasn't familiar with it incidentally) and we agreed to try the B12 and see how it went before starting any osteo-arthritis drugs. Please understand that every cat is different of course and you may not have the same kind of results as Jazz has - though I really hope you do!

I have been giving Jazz 3 mg B12 (methylcobalamin) daily since then and the difference is amazing. Granted I don't know if it's from the B12 or insulin or a combination, but she is now literally running around the garden and jumping on/off beds and sofas :D I am sooo happy to see that of course!!! So do give the B12 a try, I didn't think it was working at first, but we persisted and after maybe 3 weeks I really started to see positive changes. All this is without the osteo-arthritis drugs, and I really think the issue was neuropathic, not arthritis related.

Be aware that if your cat has lost muscle condition in the hindlegs though (from a combination of not using them as much/in normal ways and breaking down body tissue to 'feed' herself as a result of the diabetes), he will continue to be weaker in that area, even if the neuropathy clears up, until the muscle condition is regained - so he might be a little wobbly as a result. You should be able to see that it's to do with that, rather than the nerve damage though.

I hope that is not too long, but I just wanted to share that the B12 really can help, and it's possible your cat's neuropathy will improve. Not sure where you are, but on the off chance you are in Australia, you can get B12 formulated just for cats here: http://www.custommedicine.com.au/ (I just emailed him direct to discuss what I wanted). I use one 3 mg capsule per day, open it up and sprinkle half the powder on each meal. She eats it with no problem, doesn't seem to mind it at all. It does turn a hot pink colour when it absorbs moisture though so don't be alarmed!

Whatever type you get, make sure it is the methylcobalamin B12 (better utilized by the body, esp. for neuropathy) and that it does NOT contain xylitol (toxic to cats). I really hope that the B12 will help your kitty - definitely worth a try though!

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Member

Ladies....thank you thank you thank you for sharing!!! I have had Gus taking the methylcobalamin for about 5 days now. I got it from vitacost because I saw that company on someone's page. It seemed the most cost effective. I give him one 500mcg capsule in his food in the am. I'm hopeful this will help. He has really fuzzy feet, being a Maine Coon so having less than perfect control of his hind legs doesn't help his slippery foot issues. I have put the rubber drawer liners on the edge of the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink so he doesn't fall. Which he's done a few times. I went over the supplement with dr. F who seems to think it can hurt and also say 1/4 baby aspirin on Sundays and Wednesdays. Ill give it a try and I'll be patient. He's eating good and numbers are great. Also I used fine play box sand on top of his regular pure nature litter and he peepeed in the box tonight!!! So hopefully ill be able to take the peepee pads up soon. One day at a time!!!

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Member

Oh and I want to mention that Gus has no problem getting onto my bed with some steps or the kitchen counter. He also runs around the house with a gallop thing that he does. But he's totally mobile but some days he just has to rest and I know he doesn't like his back legs touched. He just has a little weakness and the muscles aren't what they used to be.

9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Any excess B-12 is excreted in the urine, so it can't hurt your cat if you give too much. Gus will just pee out the excess.

10. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

How many days is the OTJ trial at now?

11. Charlie's Person

Charlie's Person New Member

Hi, How is Gus?

My main coone Charlie has just been diagnosed with diabetes and neuropathy in the back legs.

Did you see an improvement with Gun on the B12 vitamin? And if so how long?

I'm going to ask my vet for it this week. I have to try something, my heart is breaking for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.