Vitamin B12 cobalamin injections

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tania c, Nov 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tania c

Tania c Member

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if a course of vitamin B12 injections will be good for my boy, Stan. Or are there any over supplements people give, I currently give him a probiotic daily.

He has been up and down with his diabetes, seems to be becoming more stable now. He has had a flare up of pancreatitis, soft stools and drinking lots. I was just thinking it might give him a boost, but not sure if it can have any adverse reactions with diabetes? I have a 4 week course of shots from the vet & was going to start today, but wanted to check with everyone here first!

Many thanks :) xxx

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

As far as I know B12 vitamin is ok with the diabetes as long as the one they are using has no sugar added and if it is injected they usually don't have anything else (Babu gets B12 orally) , but if you are going to give it to him for a neuropathy it needs to be methylcobalamin

Si am cat mom likes this.
  3. Tania c

Tania c Member

Thank you Veronica, I’m sure it will be fine for him but I just don’t want to do anything that will mess with his bg levels. It’s not for neuropathy just a boost and to help him if he is vit b deficient which I have learnt recently that a lot of senior cats are.

k you

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

If he accepts it orally maybe you could consider giving methylcobalamin is better for his kidneys and more easily assimilated in the body plus it helps with mobility too, again you just have to make sure it's only B12 with nothing else added

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.