"Voluntary" EVO Recall

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaryB & Chester, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaryB & Chester

MaryB & Chester Member

I know most people here don't feed dry food, but in case anyone does, there's a recall for EVO dry cat food.
    I just received an email from my local pet food store.

"Our Store was informed of a voluntary recall for specific lots of EVO® Grain Free Turkey and Chicken Formula Cat & Kitten dry cat food due to insufficient vitamin levels. This recall involves a limited number of dry products. No other dry dog food, dry cat food, dog or cat canned wet food, biscuits or treats or supplements are affected by this announcement.

You are being sent this message because our records show that you recently purchased one or more of the potentially affected products.
    Turkey & Chicken Formula Dry Cat Food 15.4lb.

The specific recalled products are listed below. If you have one of the affected products, please return it to the store for a full refund:

Evo Grain Free Turkey & Chicken Formula Dry Cat Food, 15.4 Lb.

Size: 15.4 lb.
    Expiration date: 02/19/2016
    UPC: 5148 541400
    Lot Code: 4300A700D2

Evo Grain Free Turkey & Chicken Formula Dry Cat Food, 2.2 Lb.

Size: 2.2 lb.
    Expiration date: 02/20/2016
    UPC: 5148 541402
    Lot Code: 4301A700A4, 4301A700B4, 4301A700C4

There have been no reports of illness. However, pets can become ill if they lack vitamins for prolonged periods. Early signs of vitamin deficiency may include decreased appetite, lethargy, vomiting and weight loss. If treated promptly, vitamin deficiency can be successfully reversed. The presence of excess minerals in these products poses no health concern. If your pet is ill, please contact your veterinarian.

Please know that your pet's health and well-being is our primary concern and we have removed the affected products from our shelves."

EVO has been working well for my clowder, but I'm a little concerned...Wasn't there another EVO recall a year ago? How often is too often?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Well d*mn. I am feeding the garage cats a mix, as in the cold, the canned food could freeze and be inedible. I may have to go with Wellness Core for a bit.

I put down warmed food in the evening and add some dry to make sure they've enough calories to stay warm.

I'm also putting down warmed water so they have a chance to drink some without expending energy to warm it up as much.

3. MaryB & Chester

MaryB & Chester Member

Yeah. If the Evo is off the shelves, I'll have to go with some Wellness Core, too. Better safe than sorry.
    Too bad Wysong Epigen 90 isn't available at my pet food store.

4. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

5. tylertheragdoll

tylertheragdoll Member

Mary thanks so much for the info! I actually did order the 2lb bag of the chicken & turkey formula at Chewy.com as I was looking for a morning low carb dry food for Tyler to try. I just received it last week but threw out the bag! I will have to contact Chewy.com tomorrow and see what I can do about this although I don't have the bag anymore...

Thanks for the info!

6. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

4th recall in just 1 1/2 years or so. Hard to believe. My civvie ate this for years and had severe hot spots and itchy skin....I thought was dry food in general but since wondered if attributable to the Evo. We switched after all the recalls and have not had the issue in awhile, but he also (alas after YEARS) is eating more canned

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Hey, at least they are paying attention and being public about it.

And eating more canned is good if it helps protect his kidneys. Those costs can be deadly.

8. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Well the states their saying does not include IL and I just bought a bag a few day ago from Pet Supplies Plus. Same numbers on the bag. Now my question is Blitzen only eats about a 1/4 cup over 24-36 hours because he eats mostly wet food, should I throw it out? I'm not too worried about vitamin deficiency since eats not his main food source .

9. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

In previous recalls, I had to have the bag :sad: I learned and even though I put the food in a tub, I keep the bag in the closet until I get a new bag now.

I talked to my vets in their previous recalls about the same issue (not their only or main source, not sick, etc). My vet said they wouldn't worry, but it was my call on whether it was worth it for one bag food. If you can return the food and get it replaced at no cost, I'd just get a good bag. If your source has none available to replace what you have, then I'd continue to feed if you need to. That's what we did anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.