Vomit ONLY in the morning.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shannonmarie7992, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannonmarie7992

shannonmarie7992 Member

So Cosmo is now almost two years past his original diagnosis! We’ve been doing so well and I couldn’t be happier with his progress. Just recently, however, he has begun vomiting shortly after his morning feeding. We feed and provide insulin at 6AM and 5PM and give 1/4 scoop of dry food around 10:00 at night before we go to bed to hold him over until the morning (all feeding times and amounts approved by the vet).

Within the last two weeks, he’s thrown up his morning meal within a half hour of eating it. We’re only having an issue in the morning! I plan on booking an appointment with the vet but I wondered if anyone here had any sort of idea or suggestion about what is going on?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What's it look like? If it looks pretty much like it did before he ate it, it could be a scarf and barf from eating too fast.

If that's what's going on, it can be really helpful to spread the food out thinly on a flat plate instead of piled up in a bowl so they have to slow down to eat it

3. shannonmarie7992

shannonmarie7992 Member

Scarf and barf sounds like it could be right. It’s about the same consistency as his food and it happens very soon after we feed him. We already flatten it out in his bowl (he used to have this problem when he was first diagnosed but it’s since gone away until now). Any other possibly helpful tips? =/

4. JeanW

JeanW Member

I would try giving him just a little bit and let him eat that and then give just a little bit more etc so you spread out his eating and the speed with which he can eat it.

5. JeanW

JeanW Member

Maybe a timed feeder to give him a small snack at 2 am so he's not SO hungry at 6 AM?

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

My first thought was maybe stomach acid. That is more likely to be an issue for cats who've not eaten for a while, or those who have kidney disease. And even more so for cats with both situations. (I note that your cat does have kidney disease.)

Making sure that the kitty has food to snack on is helpful. I see you have some dry food out at night. But I agree with the suggestion above about having a timed feeder to give a snack at a specific time during the night. This could reduce any build up of stomach acid.
    A raised food bowl can also be helpful in dealing with any reflux issues.

Novolin has a very fast onset (starts working very soon after injected). And it can drop the blood glucose really fast. For this reason it can be helpful to feed an hour before giving the insulin shot. This is so that the cat has food in its system for when the Novolin kicks in.
    So, the cycle would be, 1.Test, 2.Feed, 3.Wait, 4.Shoot.

It can also be helpful to give a snack, or a portion of a main meal, an hour or two after giving the shot to slow down the rate at which the blood glucose drops; especially if it is evident (through testing blood glucose at home) that the blood glucose is dropping too fast.

We do have more information on this in the Novolin info sticky if you would like to have a read of that. The link is below.
    Beginner's Guide To Novolin/Humulin/NPH

Eliz

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  7. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest a snack sometime overnight as well. Snacks were the answer to Grandpa's vomiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.