Vomiting every day

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ellys Mom, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellys Mom

Ellys Mom New Member

I'm so stumped, hoping someone else might have a similar experience or some insight!! ....

Elliott has been vomiting on a daily basis, usually twice a day. There's very little (if any) food mixed in, sometimes its a small amount of viscous liquid, other times its bile. It usually happens several hours after eating/sleeping.

His appetite, behavior, stools, and water consumption are all normal. He's purring, cuddling, eating, and playing. We went to the vet and his labs were normal too (even his sugar - yay!). By the vets advice, we tried him off the insulin (he was on a low dose)... and his sugars have been a steady 100-120 throughout the day. More of a flat line than a curve now.

She gave us Cerenia and it did help for 24 hours with each dose.

I am going to work on eliminating certain foods to see if there is a new allergy. Changed out water bowls, even tried different water! No idea whats going on with our boy. Any similar experiences or thoughts?

2. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

That is a puzzle. I'm glad he's doing better and glad you took him to the vet to have him checked out. Such a positive sign to have him off insulin and holding steady!

It could be something in the food disagreeing with him, so your flavor experiment is a great idea. Has he been eating or chewing on anything else? Kitty grass, houseplants, plastic? That's all I can think of to check, though other members may have more ideas.

3. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Dusty would do that after not eating for several hours say first thing in the morning or after I got home from work. It wasn't any diet issue just from not eating for a while.

Juls and Billy likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would try giving several smaller meals so his tummy isn’t empty. Some cats will vomit bile-like fluid if their tummies are empty. I would also try slippery elm bark powder. It is very good for tummies but keep it 2 hours away from medications as it can effect the absorption of the meds.
    Put a teaspoon SEB powder with 1/2 cup cold water in a saucepan. Whisk and bring to boil for 2 minutes. Store in a jar in the fridge for a week. Give 1 teaspoon twice a day. Can be given with food.

Juls and Billy likes this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you are going to experiment with food, you will need to read the labels carefully. For example, some of the Fancy Feast poultry flavors (I don't remember if it's the chicken or turkey), also contain fish. You may also want to see if there are food options that fit your price range that don't contain gums, carrageenan or gluten.

FWIW, my diabetic kitty would reliably vomit if she ate beef or anything with gluten.

6. Ellys Mom

Ellys Mom New Member

Great suggestions and ideas - thank you all. I'm definitely going to scope out some of the labels more carefully too.

7. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

That's good to note. Since diagnosis, my Billy has refused to eat any beef flavors. I thought it was odd, but maybe they were too hard on his system.

8. kittems

kittems New Member

hello there! I stumbled on this website because i am also looking for explanation regarding my cat's vomit.
    I have the same case as with OP -- my cat has no health problems except for periodontal disease. I am giving him TDC, virbac CET & Oratene toothpaste. His appetite is normal, his CBC / bloodworks are normal, his liver and kidney function are normal, his platelet is low, but the vet could not find anything wrong with him.

I notice he vomit a few hours or an hour before his feeding time in the morning. His vomit would always contain hairballs (sometimes very few, sometimes it's average), sometimes viscous and sometimes with bile (yellow) and very little of food (very little squash from his homemade food). He is turning 18 years old in a few months from now.

The vet could not see any health concerns and ruled it out as stress or old age. Is that really the case? :(

9. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Kittems, I'm not a an expert on this, but I wonder if he's just having trouble processing the hair. Daily brushing can help. Adding a little canned pumpkin (just the pumpkin, not the pie filling) to his food can help the hair pass through. People also sometimes use psylium husk added to a cat's food to help with hair troubles. I don't know how much of it to add, but I expect you can find the information on the web. It's possible his digestive track simply isn't dealing with the hair like it used to.

10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Kittens. Please start your own thread. So we can address any issues you are having with your cat. Go to the top right corner and click on "post new thread" to get started.

We like to give 'individualized' attention when we can. If you have your own post, that way we won't confuse Ellys Mom with information meant for you. Or vice versa.

Nothing wrong with reading other peoples posts. You can learn a lot that way. You can ever refer back to this post when you create your own thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.