Waiting for insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Asiina & Alex(GA), Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asiina & Alex(GA)

Asiina & Alex(GA) Member

My 11-year-old cat Alex was diagnosed last week. The insulin the vet prescribed (ProZinc) and the AlphaTrak monitor was very expensive buying from them, so I opted to buy online, and saved myself over $100 in doing so. However, because the insulin wouldn't be shipped over the weekend, it's not going to arrive for probably 3 more days.

His initial bloodwork showed that he had BG 21.5 after fasting, but since I'm waiting for the monitor, I haven't been able to check him since then. I'm mostly just scared that by trying to save some money and having him wait a few more days I'm putting him at risk leaving this untreated. I hadn't brought him to the vet in a while, so I have no idea how long this has been developing, but of course now that I know I see all the classic symptoms and wonder how long they've actually been going on and how I missed them if it's been a long time.

Will a few more days really make the difference as long as he's eating, drinking, and using the bathroom during that time? Even after talking to the vet and confirming that yes, with BG this high he's definitely diabetic, I have no idea if this is dangerously high to leave untreated for any period of time.

I just want to do what's best for my poor boy.

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

A few days won't make to much of a difference. Some things you can do. Food; pate wet food only is best. No gravies or sauce. Most here use fancy feast classic pate or friskies. There is a food chart that lists carbs, you want 10% carb or less. Ideally under 4%. If giving dry food, eliminate all altogether it's to high in carbs even the Rx food vet tries to sell. I will look for it and post link soon.

Pick up a human meter, most of us use them it's perfectly fine. Try to find the one that uses smallest drop 0.3 or 0.5. Price out the strips, that is the most expensive thing over time. You use a lot of them.

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Food chart is Here just click on link.

Giomax likes this.
  4. Giomax

Giomax Member

What's 21.5 on the Relion Prime?

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That's a world unit BG measurement. In US units it would be 21.5 x 18 = 387.

Giomax likes this.
  6. Giomax

Giomax Member

Thanks Kris!

387 is up there, but I think he will be ok for a few more days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.