Was need vines for civie - All better now :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by squeem3, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Guess who needs some LL vines again? ohmygod_smile

So I was out all day and came back to a lovely mess ohmygod_smile Dark brown pudding-like goo all over the place ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile There were 3 big spots in the bathroom, a few smaller ones scattered around, and two on the rug and even a stain on the wall by the window :shock: . I ended up having to thoroughly mop the bathroom floor (vinegar and baking soda solution) and then run the steam mop over it. The smaller spots were easier to clean and right now I still have boxes over the rug to keep the civies from licking potential cleaner residue (used a pet stain cleaner that's supposedly safe if ingested but still... nailbite_smile ).

Who was the culprit? Leroy @-) He wasn't terribly interested in dinner but ate about half of it and would not eat anymore even with some canned food gravy on top and is crouching a lot. I have no idea what caused Leroy to throw up everywhere confused_cat Or maybe it's pudding poop? I couldn't really tell from the dark brown color or pudding consistency but it didn't smell like poop at all, more like vomit, though there was a soft poop-shaped object in the bathroom. Hairball maybe? There is absolutely nothing Leroy could have gotten into while I was gone. Maybe he ate a bug? His appy was fine this morning and when I left for the day, both civies were fine.

Leroy's still crouching now but otherwise seems ok. He usually gets another half raw nugget around now but I don't think his tummy can handle it right now. Maybe he can eat a little something before bed.

Please send vines for Leroy's tummy :YMHUG: I'm hoping I won't need to take Leroy to the ER tonight or tomorrow nailbite_smile Dr.B unfortunately doesn't work on Mondays. I'll leave a message for him so he knows what's going on with Leroy. Is there anything I can do for Leroy? Pepcid maybe? I just opened a new bag of NV raw beef the other day but maybe some of the nuggets are bad somehow confused_cat I'm going to open a bag that I just bought today and feed that.

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Need vines for civie

Sending lots of good-tummy vines to Leroy this evening. I hope it was just one of those nasty bugs. Hang in there, Squeem. I don't envy you your clean-up!

Ella & Rusty

3. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Oh, Squeem, what a mess! I hope it was just a hairball. I does sound rather hairballish. Sending vines your way!

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Oh Leroy...feel better!!!

5. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Sending feel better vine to leroy. Maybe he will 'forget' about feeling bad soon. i hope it was just the hairball.

6. squeem3

Oddly, Leroy doesn't groom himself (another weird habit :lol: ) and he doesn't groom Emma so he shouldn't have hairballs confused_cat Plus I brushed him yesterday and enough fur came off to make another cat :shock:

Fortunately my bathroom is really small so it didn't take too long to clean. I mopped several times and then mopped several times more with just water to remove all resisude. Vinegar and baking soda is the only thing I can use for cleaning and they're pretty harmless but I still worry nailbite_smile

Know what's funny? I was at the pet store today and browsed some of the stain cleaning products. There was one for hardwood floors but I didn't think I needed it. Turns out, I do need it ohmygod_smile I'll have to go back to the store and buy it.

7. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

sounds and looks like a hairball from here. feel better leroy

8. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

:eek: Poor Leroy. Even if he doesn't groom much, does he have any OCD licking behaviors? Piglet will chew and lick the edge of the carpet, for instance, and if he gets his hands on a tumbleweed (what I call the giant ball of hair I collect from combing everyone), he'll try to eat it :?. My understanding that acid stomach, which would benefit from some Pepcid, often presents itself as a foamy barf. Any evidence of that?
    I'm bringing a civvie to Dr. B myself on Friday.

MJ

9. squeem3

Leroy will eat anything he can get his mouth onto ohmygod_smile Maybe he just ate some rug fuzz or dust bunny off the floor, since there's nothing else he could have eaten (magazines, Leroy-proof toys, furniture) confused_cat

Foamy barf... there was a semi-dried puddle of foamy brown stuff under the window.

I think Leroy is feeling a little better now. He was just chasing Emma around. He seems a bit hungry. I'll offer him a NV raw chicken instead of a beef. I have some NV duck thawing for tomorrow's breakfast.

10. Wonton

Wonton Member

Sending healing vines for a better feeling tummy for Leroy. Not fun for either party, experiencing or clean up.
    So Pepcid is safe for kitties? It's the regular stuff that beans use? What dose do you give? I sometimes find those foamy puddles on my carpet.

11. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

It's Pepcid AC (or generic equivalent famotidine) 10 mg tablets. Dosage is 1/4 tablet every other day, or increase to every day if tummy still seems upset. Often cats do their pukage in the a.m., so it is recommended to give Pepcid in the evening so it can do its thing overnight and hopefully quell the morning barf.

http://felinecrf.org/nausea_vomiting_stomach_acid.htm#famotidine

MJ

12. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Leroy and his tummy issues. Pepcid always works well for both Simon and Cleo, even when it isn't the foamy stuff. Sorry you will have to go back to get more cleaner at the pet store. Figures you were just looking at it today but didn't buy any! Sending lots of healing vines tonight for Leroy.

FYI for Wonton's bean: 1/4 tab is what I give. You can give 1/4 tab in the AM and PM safely -- regular strength Pepcid, not the extra strength. Try 1x/day first and then if needed, you can do the other 1/4 tab. Yes, the same kind as we get. Also, I usually buy the generic brand. Works just as well and lots less money.

Oh, I see where MJ just answered as I was typing. She is more experienced than me, so start with every other day since that is what she recommends and increase as needed.

13. squeem3

Update

Well Leroy ate the NV raw chicken just fine last night. I had to put some canned gravy on top again but he ate it all :D But then he didn't want to sleep on the bed :? I think he slept on the sofa all night. He gobbled his breakfast down, which is good. Maybe his tummy is feeling much better now.

Should I be giving Leroy some hairball treatment to keep future messes to a minimum? I have Vaseline but no idea if Leroy would eat that.

14. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: Need vines for civie - Updated

I'm glad Leroy is feeling better, today.
    I've heard you could give vaseline or unsalted butter. J.D. likes the butter.

15. squeem3

I'll try both and see which on Leroy likes better :smile: Is this something I would need to do daily? Never had a cat with hairballs before. Squishy was extremely furry but there were no hairball issues with him. Of course, he never groomed himself :roll: You'd think Emma would have hairballs from grooming her long fur but nope.

I wonder if Leroy's hairball issue has anything to do with his coughing/lip smacking thing? He last coughed Saturday night. Then yesterday he threw up everywhere @-)

16. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

My hairless (as in I have a genetic condition and have no hair) Italian greyhound (as in even if I did have hair it would be 1/4 inch long) recently coughed up two enormous hairballs! The vet said he hears of all kinds of hairball stories and that if you live in a house with cats, hairballs are a hazard for all your cats and dogs.

17. squeem3

Good appy for dinner but still crouching a bit and whiny :? And he hasn't used the litter box since I got him and he always does.... after I scoop it :roll: I hope he goes soon othewise I have another issue to worry about nailbite_smile

18. Munchkin's Reagan

Munchkin's Reagan Member

I'm not sure if we've had the chance to stop by before, but we're very happy to hear Leroy's tummy seems to be doing better. And you haven't had anymore clean-up detail. Have a good night!

I just caught Pebbles, our civvie, licking butter (unsalted) this morning. Last time I forget to put the lid on!

19. squeem3

Tummy is still good :D But I think Leroy may be a bit constipated ohmygod_smile He was grunting like a little piggy while pooping in the litter box this morning. Two little pieces came out and normally it's 4 or 5 pieces.

I heard that NV raw is high in bone which can cause constiptation. Anyone know about that?

I have unflavored Benefiber at home but I don't know if that works by adding bulk to the poop or if it draws water from the body. confused_cat Is Miralax the preferred treatment for constipation? I don't think Leroy would go for pumpkin :roll:

20. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Re: Need vines for civie - Miralax question

Miralax works great, 1/8 tsp once or twice a day. It works by retaining moisture in the stool so it is softer, but not if it is really compacted. There is good information here. Tess was having the some problem the other night. I gave her Miralax at night and the next morning there was a nice normal poo. And yes raw can have a constipating effect. Miralax is fine to give on a regular basis too.

The lip smacking is a sign of nausea, I think. I've seen it mentioned in other condos.

21. squeem3

Had to go to two stores before I found a small bottle of Miralax :roll: I got approximately 1/8 teaspoon into Leroy via canned gravy food. My measuring spoon set only goes down to 1/4 teaspoon so I had to eyeball half of that. We'll see what comes out tomorrow nailbite_smile Leroy peed this morning but nothing since then :shock: The hairball thing really seems to be messing up his normal body functions ohmygod_smile

22. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We give a very small amount to Zener (and Tillie our civvie) every night, we use a 1/3 teaspoon and "eyeball" about 1/4 of that for Zener and about 1/2 for Tillie. Because of the way Miralax works, it seems enough water can be absorbed to cause a bit of dehydration if your kitty isn't a good drinker. We were giving Zener about 1/16t twice a day and noticed periodic pudding poo and then he had some mild dehydration, so we've cut it down and adjust up or down based on the consistency of his poo. And we try to add extra water to his wet food. It has really helped. Our civvie was really straining and having very hard stool in small bits and now she is having healthy poo daily with the small bit of miralax.

23. Daphne#5 GA

Daphne#5 GA Well-Known Member

I used Miralax for the first time a week or so ago, and I had to give it for about 2 days before it did anything. But when it did, wow, it worked! Oh, and yes, please add water to the food, that really helps a lot.

Hope Leroy will feel better soon!

24. squeem3

Good to know :smile: I did add some water to the canned food to dissolve the Miralax a bit. I'll make it more soupy tomorrow.

25. Noreen&DC&Frisky

Noreen&DC&Frisky Well-Known Member

I just mix water in with the food and then sprinkle the Miralax on the top.
    DC eats the food like normal.

26. squeem3

I feed NV raw so it's not very easy to mix water to it :? Homemade raw might be easier for water to be added. I use canned or pouched food with extra water to mix in stuff I need to get into Leroy, like the Miralax.

An update on Leroy is here http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73068 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.