? Water retention/neuropathy/better numbers off insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AzChic70, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzChic70

AzChic70 New Member

Blackie is 17 and started taking insulin on April 26. His level on that day tested was 420. It seemed diabetes came on pretty quick with him.
    Within 3 weeks, he started to retain fluid in his abdomen. The vet took an xray and did blood work.
    He was surprised his blood work was so normal considering his age. He did shows signs of a pretty bad infection tho.
    The vet gave him a diuretic shot and antibiotics and it did seem to help.
    Did not have this fluid problem until he started insulin.

Took him back to the vet last week because he was retaining more water so the vet gave me some diuretic pills to give him.
    He seemed well until around Monday or so. Seems constipated, not being able to have a bowel movement but I have found some poop near the litter box so I know he did at least that. I noticed at the same time he has developed neuropathy.

I decided to see what his levels would be without his shot. To see if it would bring down his fluid retention.
    He was doing 2 shots a day.

His last dose was Monday night and his level was 241
    (he was struggling a bit when we were testing him so that maybe have brought the numbers up a bit).
    It's usually anywhere from 215-260. The vet said he is okay with the numbers being in the low-mid 200's.

Didn't give him insulin on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, his level was 153.

Tested him Thursday. His level was 175.

Tested again today. Level was 174.

Again, no insulin since Monday night.

So how are his levels so "normal" without his insulin?

*Tested today Saturday: His numbers are 135

Is it possible to see an improvement in the neuropathy if he isn't on insulin?

I ordered the Zobaline and hope that will help.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hi. I am sorry I am unable to answer your questions. I did just want to say I adore the photo of your Kitty!

AzChic70 likes this.
  3. AzChic70

AzChic70 New Member

Thank you!

4. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Do you have a copy of the blood work that was done? And if so, can you post it? The insulin shouldn't be directly related to the fluid, but that type of fluid build-up can have a number of causes. And some things that may show in blood work may also mean that your glucose readings aren't as accurate as they otherwise might be. I'd be happy to take a look at the blood work for you if you have, or can get, a copy.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

How bad was the fluid in the abdominal cavity (referred to as ascites)?
    Did the vet drain the fluid form the cavity?
    Did the vet look at a sample of the fluid under a microscope?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.