We still have poop issues - food plan update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Traci and Boomer, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

I'd say this is driving me crazy more that his asthma dx. I feel like I can deal with that, but the poop thing is driving me nuts. I wish I could shut it off and not care so much. nailbite_smile

I've gone back to feeding what he got in the shelter. He was there for 3 weeks and never had poop issues. She fed him Evo dry almost exclusively. He got 2 scoops of wet a day. He definitely likes wet food better-there's no doubt. She said he grazed there. Here he just doesn't touch dry food unless it's mixed with wet.

I'm giving him poop meds and that doesn't seem to help him either, which I find pretty alarming. The vet told me to "not panic yet" and to try some metamucil which I haven't done yet. Maybe he needs to be on ALL dry food? He doesn't TOUCH the Evo dry but I'm scared to give him anything else because I'll never know what's making him sick. I feel like an absolute failure and it seems that because I didn't follow exactly what the shelter did now I'm paying the price.

This is EXACTLY what I didn't want to happen. I feel my life being sucked away because all I do is think constantly about what to do for this cat. On the bright side: he's gained weight. He weighed 8lbs when I got him, he now weighs 8.8lbs. Not bad for having diarrhea for 2 weeks. He is bright, happy and playful, very sweet and cuddly. He doesn't seem sick at all.

Sorry if I'm annoying. I know most of you have issues too. How do you not let it consume you?

2. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: We still have poop issues-2 weeks today

Traci,

I will pass along to you the homeopathic remedy that was given to me. Now, if you try this, only give it for 3 days and only once per day. You don't want to have the opposite effect of constipation.

Go to the health store, like vitamin shop and purchase slippery elm in capsule form. Any brand is fine, you want it to only have slippery elm bark 400mg in it.

Open one capsule and empty the small end of capsule into food dish. It's sticky, so you may have to tap it down and out.

Mix with some warm water and baby food or canned food, then serve to kitty.

This should help stop the diarrhea and form the poo.

Again, once a day for 3 days at the most. You can then stop and give again after a few days if necessary.

If you aren't already, you also may want to get a probiotic to put in food. I use this one:
    http://www.vitacost.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Pet-Dophilus

I believe vitamin shop also sells it.

4. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

Has the vet tested for giardia? My two 6-year-olds had that for a lot of their first year. Once it was diagnosed and the correct medicine given for the correct amount of time, there was no more problem. But figuring it out took forever. (I think there may be better tests for it now than there were even so few years ago.)

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Metamucil is what finally worked for my Mickey. When I adopted him, it was so bad that he was leaking diarrhea every time he sat down. He had tapeworms and getting rid of those helped a little, but not enough. I got the flavorless Metamucil and started mixing it into his food. I only had to do it for a couple of weeks, which was unbelievable considering how bad it was. That was after medical issues had been ruled out, of course. Giardia is also a possibility, as are food sensitivities. If he'll eat EVO that should be a good start, but you do have to feed the same thing for several weeks before you'll see improvements.

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Traci)))

I am so sorry you are going through this and the asthma diagnosis. I went through a very traumatic bout of diarrhea with Bear Man, and it was extremely stressful. I did try Metamucil with him, also Imodium, and Metronidazole. (Ths won't work for you, but he eventually only improved slightly as a result of taking a phosphorus binder for his kidney disease). Teddy has had diarrhea issues as well, and has done very well on Tylosin (Tylan). I don't know if you might have any luck with a veterinary hypo allergenic gastro type food (waiting for boos and hisses for mentioning a prescription food).

I think Jess mentioned in one of your condos choosing a food and sticking with it consistently. That made sense to me at the time I read it, and it sounds like you are trying to do that now. I believe that you have also had a fecal sample checked and given the deworming meds, correct? Perhaps a recheck of the sample could be done.

This is so very stressful for you, I know. I am sending lots of "firm poo" vines your way.

7. Traci and Boomer

I guess my cat is the 1% that doesn't respond? He's been on it for a week or more. At first I thought it was working so I stopped for a couple days-things were looking better. Then it seemed loose again so I started giving it once a day. Then back to diarrhea so now I'm giving it twice a day. This morning was complete diarhea and tonight he hasn't pooped.

Question : my vet said to give him some metamucil. Why would this help him? It's in the section of the store for constipation, not diarrhea????

8. Traci and Boomer

I've heard of this on the IBD board. I used to go there for Boomer but never tried it. Should I ask the vet first?

ETA- I have been giving him FortiFlora almost every day for about a week. :cry:

9. Traci and Boomer

I'm not sure. Is it done via a blood test? If so, than nope and cha-ching for me.

10. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Metro is an antibiotic.. you can't skip doses or just stop. If it was helping, it may be the problem.. you just didn't finish the full course of it. Maybe ask your vet for more flagyl/metro? & make sure you do the WHOLE course of it. The shelter gives us liquid stuff since the foster kittens we put on it are so tiny.. and I believe that's for 10 days. May be for 7, but I think it's for 10. It may have helped, but not killed everything since you didn't finish the full course. Read about it on the link I posted in my other post.

Flagyl/metro kills off things in the gut, like giardia!

11. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

As you can see, it treats a VERY wide variety of things that can be going on, mostly in the lower GI area of animals! That's why the shelter automatically gives metro/flagyl first when kittens get diarrhea. It usually does the trick! You HAVE to give the full course though.. it's an antibiotic that mostly targets the lower GI nasties.

12. Traci and Boomer

Hi Linda-

Here's the story of how I screwed up. When he got here he was a smaller cat and that scared me. I still have "Boomer baggage" and I think a small cat doesn't have any "cushion" if he gets sick and I need to fatten him up. I put down this food that the shelter gave me and he barely touched it. I did this for a couple days and I couldn't stand that he wasn't eating much at all. I didn't think about transitioning slowly; I just got out the pouch food I used to give Boomer and Merlin chowed down. That gave me satisfacton; it gave me a sense of security to see him loving his food. After about the 3rd day I gave him mostly the pouch food and left out the dry - which he didn't touch. I mixed the dry with the wet and then he'd eat it. Then I was told that it's bad to mix them because it causes bacteria or something? So now I've stopped giving the cheap food, he's only getting the shelter stuff which he definitely doesn't like as much. So that's where I'm at. Tonight I added the metamucil. Everything I've done has been with the best intentions. Now I'm back-tracking and praying he doesn't have anything more serious. The thing I hold on to is that he was fine at the shelter with mostly dry food.

13. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Traci))) You poor thing. I know you are doing everything in his best interest. He is happy and playful and gaining weight, so that says a lot. You are a great kitty Mom. I hope he just has a sensitive digestive system, and this will work itself out with time.

14. Traci and Boomer

Hi Steph-

Hopefully it didn't work because I took some breaks from giving it to him twice a day for 5 days as it says? I didn't know it was an antibiotic!!! Head slap!!! ohmygod_smile

15. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Traci, you mentioned the shelter was giving him 2 scoops of wet? did you try the wet food the shelter was giving? Or am I misunderstanding that the shelter only gave dry.

I know that you have had a lot of products thrown at you but this is what helps Janeway. Its expensive. If you want one to try I will be more than happy to send one.
    http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/2561-DiaGel.aspx

I might also mention one thing. Siamese/mixes can be very sensitive creatures. I am sure you know this. Since he did not have this going on at the shelter, the food change "may" have started it, but stress might be continuing it. I know he does not seem like a stressed kitty, but he may be picking up on your stress level. Remember with the diabetes, it is always easier to test/shoot when YOU are calm. Same goes with anything else. If he is picking up your stress, that might be making any intestinal issue worse.

I seriously doubt it is a parasite/protozoa issue because he would have been having those issues where he came from. If you believe they are telling the truth that is.

Sending firm poopy vibes for Merlin, and chill out vibes for mommabean.

16. Traci and Boomer

Hi Lisa:

<<Traci, you mentioned the shelter was giving him 2 scoops of wet? did you try the wet food the shelter was giving? Or am I misunderstanding that the shelter only gave dry.>>

The shelter gave him dry all day and night to graze on - actually 8 ounces to be specific. On top of this they gave a "small teaspoon" of wet twice a day as a little treat. I am now giving him both the SAME wet and dry that was given to him at the shelter. More wet because he will not touch one kibble of dry unless it's in the wet - I know because when i leave out the dry by itself I weigh it on a digital scale that measures to the percent of an ounce. There is never a change.

<<I seriously doubt it is a parasite/protozoa issue because he would have been having those issues where he came from. If you believe they are telling the truth that is.>>

I do believe they are telling the truth, this shelter seems very professional. I am hoping my that this will clear and that it was because of me giving him so much wet food. I am almost at wits end to be honest. I haven't tried the slippery elm yet. Thank you for the offer to try the medication you have. How did you find it? If there's no improvement by tomorrow maybe I will take you up on your offer. This seems to be lasting an awfully long time. Is there anything else it could be besides something terrible like IBD?

17. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you are giving him the same wet that the shelter gave, try increasing the wet a little bit at a time, if hes not eating the dry. Evo is very rich.

Another thing I should mention along the lines of Cats are Funny. We have at the shelter, cats that are stressed and dont want to eat, and we finally find a food they will eat. We stress to the adopter this is the only thing they will eat here... if you are going to transition, do it slowly.
    Well, I lost count of the number of cats that go home and WILL NOT eat that food ohmygod_smile My theory is they associate it with the shelter, and now they know they are in a home. We had the same thing happen with cat beds. We have sent home several cats with their favorite shelter bed, all covered in hair cuz we didnt have the heart to take it away to wash.. and the adopters report they not only will not use that bed, but they AVOID it! ohmygod_smile Again I think its the shelter association.

Oh, and you mentioned the pouch food, I cant remember if I mentioned this on another thread, but many pouch foods have wheat gluten (for the gravy). Its possible he was just allergic to that. I dont know if Whiskas has gluten in it.

18. Traci and Boomer

Very interesting!!! I've had a couple other people tell me that the food their cat always ate at the shelter was not touched at home. I had never heard of the bed being boycotted, but that makes even more sense to me than the food.

It appears that at the shelter he had a lot of grain-free food, however California Natural has rice in it which is a grain and he ate that at the shelter and was fine. I'm guess no grain allergy. I'm going to write to her and ask. She probably thinks I'm terrible.

19. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Diarrhea is a real pain in the butt! My Kaely had food allergies but could tolerate California Natural the best. Even with the rice. Stay away from wheat gluten and corn meal. Donna

20. Traci and Boomer

I spoke to Merlin's rescue today and was firmly directed to fill up a bowl with Evo or Cal Natural dry-mine is 6 ounces (weighed) and that is to be left out for 24 hours. At breakfast and dinner I'm to give him a tablespoon of good quality wet with his metamucil and FortiFlora in it and leave it down for a hour. I'm not to give him anything else, no human food or treats. I am to get back to her in 24 hours to let her know if he ate ANY of the dry food. So that's the plan. She says he doesn't have a grain alergy-he ate it at the shelter and was FINE.

Sooo...I've created a (poopy) monster, however, he's running around the house and playing in his tunnel like a mad man. :lol: Hopefully he will eat the dry food because if not he's gonna be a hungry kitty. It really helps to have someone who knows him tell me what to do. I feel a huge sense of relief.

21. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

You know what? Sometimes I think kittens are just so active, and sometimes they just have diarrhea. Anyone who's had a kitten notice their poops are WAY more smelly than an adult's? If he's acting fine, and gaining weight, then honestly, I wouldn't worry about it as a kitten.

Missy had diarrhea in her first year. Took me awhile to figure out who it was.. but she has long fur, so I saw some stuck on her butt fur once. Once she was over a year old though.. it completely went away!

So I hate to say it, but I feel like I HAVE to throw it out there.. is sometimes I just think kittens are growing & changing so much, that unless they're ACTING sick.. don't really worry about it, and see if it's something they just grow out of. As long as they're gaining weight.. that's the most important part for a kitten.

& seriously.. Missy's poops are fine now, and I didn't do ANYTHING to make them that way, except to just wait it out until she was full grown. (basically waited after the first year or so) I don't know WHAT goes on with kittens' rear-ends, but MAN, do they stink up the place more than any adult cat! So I don't even pretend to know what's going on in the make-up of a kitten.. but I've seen it way too often.. even with fosters. (Someone adopted some of my previous fosters & had the exact same problem.. the cat's poop is fine now. Just went away the older it got! ;-))

Cher on the other hand.. is very sensitive to foods. She's 11 though. I DO find (what's also very weird) is she does fine as long as she eats a food that has some kind of rice in it. Brown rice, or just rice listed. She does fine on Friskies.. & they added rice in their wet foods a long time ago. So I'd go out & buy some of the more expensive foods, and only pick the ones that listed some sort of rice in them.. and she was ok with those too! It's really weird. I believe Alice & Tabby said the same thing too. So maybe try that to see if the rice in the food helps firm up the stool?? (I still buy the low carb ones.. it doesn't raise the carbs very much, but adds enough to help their poop!)

22. Traci and Boomer

Something may be kicking in because I saw some regular poop this morning with some non-regular. Maybe it's the metamucil? Not sure, but I'm happy.

As expected, he didn't eat one bite of the dry food overnight. This morning I only gave him a tablespoon of wet with his metamucil and forti flora. He's gonna be a hungry boy if he doesn't eat any dry all day.

If he doesn't eat any dry today, I wonder if I should make his wet portion a little smaller so he'll be hungrier and HAVE to eat? The little stubborn stinker.

He's so darned cute though. He is a total delight playing in his tunnel like nut all by himself. He also woke me up for loving in the middle of the night, head butting and rubbing on me for pets. He's a good snuggler. He brings toys on my bed too, the little cutie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.