Weak back legs solved

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mal and Tubby (GA), Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

I have been trying to buy Methyl b12 since Dec 10-no luck.
    Hillary uses Vitacost. They have 5mg capsules. They say they ship to Canada by mail. I turns out they use UPS.
    Bought a bottle from Vitacost and paid 35$ on Dec10/09. Still no b12..
    Tried health food stores around here [Langley BC] Can find pills only with added sucrose.
    I'm stuck :(
    got it

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Re: Weak back legs

i can't help directly other than to see if you can round up some fellow canadians to see if they know? i sent a pm to victoria and sundance and pointed her here.....others might be karen & rambo, ronnie & luna, and my brain just went blank

3. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Mal... I really think you should try the tablets. They dissolve easily in water - they are meant to - and I've not heard anyone say that a cat has had an issue with them.

The tablets of Methyl B12 are easy to get at any health food store. I'm sure you will find some that have very limited additives. It really is important that you start that treatment sooner than later.

Let me know if you need me to help you source some. Do you still have the contact number of the place in Langley that I sent? Please let me know... I can find it and send it through PM here if you like. Contact me any time if you EVER have trouble finding supplies. I've done a lot of sourcing for people locally... 1/2 unit syringes are hard to find in Vancouver, go figure... So I don't mind helping out.

PS: this is a feline diabetes health question and could be moved there. Anything to do with any diabetic cat should go on Health. I've asked for it to be moved so more people see it.

4. Mal and Tubby (GA)

I read your PMs and have shopped there but the pills have sucrose in them. Tubby loves the dissolved pills straight- no food. They are pink when dissolved.
    The second pill I tried would not dissolve in water. It didnt have sucrose, but a artificial sweetener.
    Both were B12 methyl tablets.
    NSI B12 Methylcobalamin -- 5 mg -capsules would be the best but are not sold in Canada and my order from Vitacost is lost. 35$ down the drain. :cry:

P.S. If this thread is moved to FD it will disappear in a day. Here it will stay on the front page for at least a few days.

5. Victoria & Sundance

But does the sucrose affect his BG? I can't imagine that little bit does. I would not want artificial sweeteners though... So you have bought two different bottles of tablets already? Have you been giving them to him daily? How do you know the capsules would be best?

I'm just curious because I really think that having him on a treatment is important and I'm not sure that the capsule will work any better than what you can find locally.

6. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Hillary and Maui uses NSI B12 Methylcobalamin -- 5 mg -capsules. She recommended them . I believe her.

P.S. If this thread is moved to FD it will disappear in a day. Here it will stay on the front page for at least a few days.

edit I bought the bottles of b12 the same day I talked to you via PM.

7. Victoria & Sundance

You told me you saw them at London Drugs... Did you get the Methyl B12 from the health store that day? Have you used them everyday since? Regular B12 will not do it, as you know.

I don't mean to be pushy, but many cats in Canada have been helped by the stuff we have here. Hillary is awesome and I believe her that they are a good product, but I don't believe that means that the capsules will be better than the tablets just because they are capsules.

Let me see if I can get a few more Canadians in on this to see what they used.

8. Mal and Tubby (GA)

London drugs did not have what I wanted. Both from different health food stores. :smile:

9. Victoria & Sundance

Ok... that's good to know. Have you been using them for this month? You know, it does take some cats longer than others to recover. How much are you giving him each day?

10. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I should point out that methylcobalamin alone will *not* reverse diabetic neuropathy.

Diabetic neuropathy is caused by unregulated diabetes. The best way to treat DN is to get the diabetes controlled. If the diabetes is uncontrolled, methylcobalamin can help slow the progression of DN, but will not stop it. If the diabetes becomes controlled, cats will start to heal on their own; methylcobalamin can help speed the healing.

But methyl-B12 alone is not the cure for diabetic neuropathy; that starts with regulation.

11. Victoria & Sundance

That's a really good point.

Mal, I noticed that you had some nice blues mid-cycle but there are no preshot numbers? Is Tubby hard to handle or test? Getting some preshots is pretty important in the big scheme of things.

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Mal,

I don't understand. Have you contacted vitacost to tell them you haven't received the shipment? I would think they would either re-ship it and maybe use a different shipping company or at a minimum refund your money.

If it was UPS, did you get at tracking number and check with UPS as to where it is.

I don't get it.

If this is the product you really want, you could always have it shipped to me and I will then reship to you. I know it seems silly and like you are backtracking and all, but if that is the only way to get it to you...I'll do what I can to help you out.

I do believe in this product for many reason. I also just ordered vitamins for myself from them last week and am waiting for a delivery next week.

13. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

For now, why not try one of the ones other people have used without problems, even if there's a small amount of sugar? You can test blood sugar at shot time, and an hour later, and two hours later, and see what (if any) effect that sugar has (most people see none), and help your cat's legs at the same time.

It is good to get started right away.

Also it will help spend some more time working on regulating blood sugar if you can, as that is really the key in the end.

14. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Hillary. I emailed them -no reply
    No UPS tracking
    You have a PM
    Victoria + Jock. I seldom get blood. A rescue cat and I am alone.
    So a nadir measurement is better than nothing. The only reason I even get that is because of a method by Nicole+ furbaby.
    Pounce when chilled out. :cool:
    P.S. I will add the sucrose B12 to his food. If everybody else is doing it without problems, so will I.

15. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Mal,

Definitely use what you have - my preference is just that - my preference. And should be used in lieu of another option you may have.

And I agree with Vic - if you can melt the tablet in water and add that to the food - that works too. and makes it easier than trying to crush a tablet.

16. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Received the B12 from Vitacost today.
    Real slow but real cheap shipping [4.90$]
    Ordering some more tonight.
    Thank you Hillary for the offer.
    Thank you Victoria for the replies. :smile:

17. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Glad to see that it finally arrived. Good luck with it and I hope it helps.

but do keep in mind that the B12 alone won't fix the neuropathy, it's getting regulated with insulin and hopefully off insulin that will really be the biggest help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.