Webber OTJ 2 months - lost one pound since last month

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hello All!! Webber is doing great......but I just weighed him b/c DH mentioned that he looked "leaner" and he has dropped from 12.5 to 11.5 since last month. One thing I should mention is that he is very very active now that his BG are normal *antijinx* and plays almost constantly. Is this anything I should worry about or is it normal for a cat to lose weight if active?

He is eating well and everything else seems good, except for constipation (which we have dealt with forever).

ETA - I have also switched diet from FF to LC Wellness in the last month. Could this have changed his weight?

Thanks!!!

2. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Hi Paige!

It could just be the food. I've been trying to get one of our heavier ones to drop some weight and I thought by just moving to LC would help, but it hasn't made a dent with him. It has leaned out the other ones and they haven't significantly changed their play behavior.

What do you think he should weigh?

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hi Amy! Honestly I have not the slightest of what he should weigh :lol: He started out ~14 pounds before his diagnosis but he lost 2 pounds and was down to 12.5 once we got his BG stable. I hope it is the diet and activity. He doesn't look bad at al and DH said that he looked "lean".....so I don't know if that means he is just more "fit"? Thank you for your input. I had forgot that I switched their food since a month ago. Hmmm

ETA - oops! I meant he started out at 14 pounds!!!

4. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

I think that is the very VERY top end of weight to lose in that time period.. if you weren't checking his BGs on a regular basis.. I'd say get the cat to the vet asap for a blood panel..

But.. if BGs are good.. and cat seems fine.. that's a "decent" indication that the cat is probably ok.. probably be worth weighing him more often.. once a week perhaps.. try to do it at the same time of day.. as like in people, cats weights fluctuate a lot throughout the day.

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hi Dawn - I realized that I made a booboo and said he weight 24 pounds! :lol: I have been testing him on a regular basis. I just hid that SS so that everyone wouldn't know how I still test him about every 5 days. :roll:

Thanks!! I am going to weigh him more often. And after I started thinking....the Wellness cans are smaller than the Sophisticat that I used to feed them and Webber does wake me up every morning hungry. Maybe he (and the others) are not getting enough to eat. I opened an extra can just now for overnight and we will see what is left in the morning. :mrgreen:

6. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Yeah I assumed the 24 pounds was a typo haha.. I posted based on him going from 12.5 to 11.5 in a month (8%).. 2% body weight per week is the most aggressive guidelines I've seen.. either way.. 2% is pretty aggressive for not trying for it..

Comparatively.. if you weigh say 130 pounds.. at the same rate you would be losing 2.5 pounds a week.. which is entirely too fast to do on purpose for people.. and most certainly "by accident".. an average person would have to eat 2 or 3 days worth less of food in a week to drop that fast..

I assume cats are slightly different.. because on Dr. Lisa's site she says:
    "A safe rate of weight loss is 1 - 2% of their current body weight per week." (http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.h ... eight_Loss)

and I assume she knows what she's talking about :). Still something to keep an eye on since you weren't trying for it..

I figured that you're still testing once in a while.. I think any BG home-testing maniac probably runs for the meter any time they think something might be "off".. I suspected you did the same and would have posted something much different if there was a BG problem..

7. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

Hmmmm. Arnie was dx Feb 1 and went OTJ after 2 wks. He's gone to all wet food and has only lost 1# I think it is. He was 15.2# today. The DR wants him down ideally to about 12#. He's going slowly but we're getting there.

8. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

I don't know Paige, it seems like a lot to lose in a short period of time. Boomer has also lost weight since his DX in November, but I'm not sure how much because I don't remember his weight then. Does Webber seem okay other than constipation? Does he have IBD? Boomer has IBD (the puking kind) but there is a constipation kind too.

I really don't want to go to the vet for a while. if Boomer makes it through his GUM trial I hope to have a nice summer, ya know what I mean? ;-)

9. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean. Now that we get them OTJ I am afraid that the stress from the vet will send him back. :mrgreen:

I forgot that I changed all their diet about a month ago and one other cat has lost one pound too. Maybe it is just the food. They do seem to eat more and the cans are a little smaller. I am going to start leaving out more food. Bad mommy!! :roll:

ETA - no IBD (knock on wood).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.