We're back :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KJ & Alfred, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJ & Alfred

KJ & Alfred Member

(Disclaimer....the :( is only to be having to deal with insulin again....but there is a big :) for me knowing this wonderful resource is here to help us navigate once again)

So, I was here back in 2013 after Alfred's initial diagnosis. With a diet change and three months of tight regulation protocol on Lantus (and the coaching and support of FDMB), he was able to go off the juice May 2013.

Then a few weeks ago, I really started paying attention again and noting the all-too-frequent trips to the water dish and the weight loss. Checked his BG at home last night and it was 360. Today at the vet it was 560 and we were sent home with Prozinc. (This vet no longer prescribes Lantus due to the high costs). So, I'm trying to dig deep in my brain and remember HOW TO DO THIS!!!

The vet, who is familiar with the forum and with the spreadsheets recommended I DO NOT home test for the first week. I'm conflicted about this. She prescribed 1U of Prozinc 2x/day and then do a curve at home in a week.

Thoughts, advice, encouragement welcomed.

PS....I assume there is still a link to our spreadsheet, which was poorly managed after OTJ....we were testing periodically but naively assumed we were "out the woods" for good and didn't really keep up. I guess I'll start a new one>

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Many caretakers here order the Lantus pens for here:
    http://www.rxcanada4less.com/search.php
    A lot less expensive than n the USA and even less expensive than ProZinc. Remember that ProZinc is a U40 insulin while Lantus is a U100 insulin. A 10 ml vial of ProZinc contains only 400 units of insulin while a 10 ml vial of Lantus contains 1000 units.
    I myself wold and do test BG before each shot.

3. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Hi KJ & Alfred won't take you long to catch on its like riding a bike once you've accomplished it you dont forget.
    On the Prozinc forum you'll find the sticky's. Probly not telling you anything new.
    Your kitty is adorable :cat:

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome back.
    Your spreadshbeet does show up; to edit, log into Google Drive..
    We have a protocol for Prozinc in that forum section.
    I would test for safety.
    See also my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for additional assessments you may find helpful.

DebG likes this.
  5. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Yikes your vet is wrong you should always test. I would not feel comfortable giving insulin without knowing the gb. Please test

6. KJ & Alfred

KJ & Alfred Member

I definitely will test...thanks for reaffirming my thoughts on that. They already prescribed the PZI and gave him the first dose.... I don't know enough about this type of insulin to know if trying to switch back to Lantus is better. I only know that is what we used last time.

Is there harm in using this vial up (since I have it and already paid for it) and then switching? I need to go read some more stickies to understand the choices.

Thanks so much for your replies here....

7. KJ & Alfred

KJ & Alfred Member

Also....not sure the best place to post this, but as I am here trying to get reaquainted with the board, the lingo, etc....I'm reading lots of sticky threads. I keep encountering bad links...several in the FAQ list and now a few in two different sticky threads in the PZI forum. Are there more updated links somewhere else?

8. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Im fairly new and don't want to give bad advice. I was using Prozinc to start. In my opinion it should be ok to use the vial up and then decide which insulin you'd like to use. Every cat is different. So which insulin you use will be the one that ends up helping Alfred the best. In other wards remission or regulation. If your using Prozinc you can post there in that forum.
    My experience is in the evening if you post and don't get help post in the main forum. There usually is someone that can help you.
    I havent experienced that issue with the links .

9. KJ & Alfred

KJ & Alfred Member

Thanks, everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.