We're back :(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Becky Young, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky Young

Becky Young Member

After a solid 8 months OTJ, it looks like Davis may need to go back on insulin. I noticed a higher amount of urine in his box over the past week and decided to test today and he was at 278:(

We switched to Dave's Natural Turkey & Giblets (4% carbs) a few months back because Davis started to become allergic to whatever is in Fancy Feast. He was throwing up every morning and the switch has been good for him, at least I thought it was good for him. I switched his brother to B.F.F Tuna and Chicken Charm Me pouches (which supposedly only have 9% carbs according to Dr. Pierson's chart) and every now and then Davis will eat his brother's leftovers....could that be the trigger perhaps?

I bought a brand new Lantus pen at the end of November and only used it a handful of times before Davis went OTJ. I still have the pen in the fridge, do you think it's ok to use or should I get a brand new one? Also, I have NO clue what dosage to start with .5? 1?

Ugh, I'm so discouraged! Just when I thought we had this in our rearview mirror....:banghead:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think I would head to the vet first for blood work and a check of his teeth. So many kitties here fall out of remission because they need dentals. It's also worth having a conversation about the vomiting with the vet. Chronic vomiting can be a concern.

As for food, a number of the Fancy Feast have fish in them, which is a common allergy trigger. Can you switch the brother to a food without fish to try out that theory?

In the mean time until you can see the vet, it's good to gather a bit of data. Test a your normal "preshot", then a 3 hours later after he's eaten, and see if the numbers are coming down.

JeffJ likes this.
  3. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Unfortunately it's never in the rear view mirror. Silver was OTJ for three years. Once a diabetic always a diabetic and anything can knock them out of remission from steroids to need for a dental.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Sad but true..........I watched and tested Davidson like a hawk, little did I know after 4 yrs OTJ that s stupid tooth infection, which I could not see or smell, brought him back to LL land..........even the Vet missed it.

Oh well, he missed his friends and has since made new ones..........and now on the second rodeo along with many others.

5. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

I understand your shock seeing the yellow number! Though you saw it only one time. Have deep breathing.
    By any chance is Davis constipated? Tux has been OTJ and he started showing yellow numbers as well. Tux's problem seems to be constipation.
    We are trying to resolve and I am testing preshot and +3, as @Wendy&Neko says.
    Relax... :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just like fish, chicken and beef can be sources of allergy. The frequent vomiting may be a sign that something is off.

I agree with Wendy, I'd see about getting Davis in for a vet visit to make sure there's not an infection/inflammation that's causing his numbers to be elevated. Like Wendy noted, the need for a dental has thrown a lot of kitties out of remission.

7. Becky Young

Becky Young Member

Thanks all for your encouragement. I guess I didn't know how easily it could come back, I thought we were in the clear. We're 24 hours into the routine and it feels like riding a bike (a bike that I reeeaallllyy don't like:D). I started with .75 this morning and will test throughout the day to see how it goes. I'm going to order some more Zobaline too, he's walking so well and I want to make sure it stays that way.

We'll get into the vet next week for an exam and hopefully back on the road towards OTJ again in the future.

8. Becky Young

Becky Young Member

Nope, no constipation but I will keep a closer eye on him in the litter box just to be sure!

9. Becky Young

Becky Young Member

He is definitely due for a dental so I will make that appt. next week for sure.

Davis is allergic to fish so we were only doing the beef and chicken Fancy Feast but he was still throwing up constantly. The second I switched to Dave's food, the throwing up stopped. But he does steal bites of his brother's food from time to time so I'm going to switch his brother to Dave's as well. He doesn't like it as much, but oh well!

Thanks for your encouragement!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.