We're on ProZinc and starting low.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meleksmommy, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

Melek and I went to the vet today with our home testing log, and we're now starting out with 2 units of Prozinc 2x a day, and measuring a curve this Sunday. My vet is wonderful, he was so happy we'd started home testing, and worked with me to assess a starting dose and the type of Insulin we'd use. What's more, he will be joining us here soon and was so happy I've found you all.

So - on to the next step of the adventure.

We also started on Evo canned food (7% carb) this week, and Melek and the civvies love it. We are using freeze-dried chicken as post-poke treats.

I'm starting a spreadsheet log for Melek, and prototypes you might be willing to share?

Thanks, all!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

take a look at anyone who posts, at the bottom of their post is 'spread sheet' or 'ss' or tom's ss. poke on that and that will be what you need...
    what #'s are you getting with your home testing. 2u is a high start. does he truly need that much? and if you change diet you MUST rethink his dose.

3. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

Melek's numbers have been dismal, he's at 468 today :(

His wieght is at 13.8 lbs., numbers have remained over 450 since we swithed to the Evo canned food 4 days ago, so the vet thought we'd start at 2. I asked about starting with 1 unit, would that be more advisable?

Wow - I'm not observant - now I'm seeing the spreadsheets!

4. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job on hometesting.

Here is the link for the SS and how to attach it to your signature.
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

How did you decide on 2 units? We usually start low, go slow, with 1 unit twice a day so you won't miss the perfect dose for you.

Welcome to the club.

5. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

Thanks, Rob & Harley! I'll add my spreadsheet once have made one that works for us - I'm still figuring this all out.

We decided on 2 units based on how extremely high Melek's BG count has been for the past few weeks (he's been in the 400s and 500s consistently), and his size - he's a large kitty.

However, we're doing a curve measurement on Sunday to make a final determination of where we want to start, that should help us. I'll keep everyone posted.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes jodi, why don't you start with 1U...you can always raise it but the consequense of shooting too high is hypo like #'s with ton's of testing and a sleepless night for you.
    no reason at all to start at 2U

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hon, we ALL started with those #'s. that's not unusual. vet's as a rule tend to reccomend higher doses than we do...and inevitably we end up staying up half the night paying for it.
    particularly with the food change...i ask of you..start at 1U

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

have you shot yet?

9. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

We're going to start at 1u in the am. I'm much more comfortable with that - we'll let you know how he does...

10. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

We're going to start at 1u in the am. I'm much more comfortable with that - we'll let you know how he does...

11. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh good, we'll be waiting to hear how he does. don't expect too much for the first day or two...sometimes the insulin takes a few days to 'settle' and show it's results.

13. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

Woops - didn't mean to repeat myself, the site locked me out for about 8 hours :(

We just did our first dose - I gotta say, the injection is a lot easier than the BG test poke! He didn't seem to feel it and just kept eating. whew!

14. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

There is a google spreadsheet that you can copy and link to your signature in the Tech forum, all you have to do is fill it in. Someone paid it forward and did the work for us ss wise.

Glad you decided to go with 1 unit.

Keep us posted.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes i agree about the shot. tom does'nt even know i'm shooting him with his face buried in his bowl of breffis. or dinner. the pokie? a little more challenging.
    can you get a +4 or 5 ?

16. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

I think I'm a slow learner - Lori, what is a +4 or 5?

We are measuring a curve today with Melek, since he started the 1u 2x day yesterday. I gave him his dose this morning, just after he tested at 244 (yesterday he was at 385), before breakfast. Five hours later he's at 105, just 2 days ago he was near 500. Is this sounding normal? We're testing again in 2 hours and again in 4 hours and will plot his curve to find out his low point (I'm guessing that's the 5 hour mark).

I wasn't expecting to see his numbers so low so soon.

17. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

(smacking forehead) - after reading Khan's post, I figured out what you meant. The +5 reading is his 105. I am still working on the spreadsheet, now it makes much more sense. Long weekend don't help my brain cells to function, I guess... more info shortly.

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

This looks good. I am glad you started with one unit. The +4 or +6 means that many hours since the shot. Until you get your spreadsheet going, it will help us if you record your numbers like this:

9/5
    amps 244 1unit PZI (amps means morning preshot number)
    +5 105
    +7
    pmps (will be his number at evening preshot time)

Yes, the +5 number is probably near his nadir(lowest point), and a nice safe number.

It looks like he is reacting really well to the PZI.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh honey it's not sounding normal, it's sounding PERFECT. 105 at +5 is beautiful!
    perfect dose.
    this is when i like to say, not rubbing vets nose in it but i get accused of that. suppose you would have gone with the 2u? we'd be spending the day treating a hypo. just sayin.

20. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

I'm so grateful for your advice and experience, it's been a great day (especially knowing we dodged the emergency-er vet). Melek's doing so well, and seems happy - for once, he's been acting like his old self.

21. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

Melek is still handling the insulin well, though his numbers were higher today. I did have a little spill the morning and didn't give any additional, so that probably contributed to the higher numbers.
    Hoping his dandruff starts going away soon...

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

maybe you could write out the numbers so we could see them.
    amps
    pmps
    and what you shot

amps 245 1U for example.

we never get bored with seeing your numbers :lol:

23. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

I'm embarrased that the spreadsheet is throwing me for a lops - I use them enought at work for budget management, but I'm still figuring this out and using a handwritten log book till I do. In the past few days:

9/5/10: amps 224 1u, +5 105, +7 139, +9 179, pmps 229 1u

9/6/10: amps 407 (with spill, about 1/4 u), pmps 314 1u

Hoping to see lower number in the am for his 7am poke-n-feed :)
    good night, all!

24. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

don't worry the ss is confusing for many of us to get it up and going.
    looks like aside from that fur shot it's a great dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.