? WERUVA HAS CHANGED RECIPIE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mouse & Me, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

Going by Lisa Pierson's list, I was feeding my cats Marabella Paella, Mack & Jack, and another flavor from Weruva Line.

The new labels says 'IN GRAVY"

Spoke to the company, and they claim that the carbs are below 1%, and the gravy is water & guar gum. I thought that guar was for constipation?

I might try to feed a little, or just give it to the civvie, but, what the heck? Is it really ok to give the diabetic cat this new recipie?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

3. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

4. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

5. FurBabiesMama

There are differing opinions on whether guar gum is good or bad for cats. You can find articles supporting it and articles that are against it. It is a very common ingredient in cat foods. I think, like many things, it depends on the cat. It probably causes issues for some but not for others. I use Weruva Chicken Frick A' Zee which contains it.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. FurBabiesMama

By the way, the reason it can help with constipation is that it is a soluble fiber. So, to me, it is basically like adding a small amount of fiber to their food which, for my girls, helps.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

That's why I would purchase BFF Tuna & Pumpkin. Occasionally feed, but every day?

8. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

You're so right.... just found another site, where my BFF canned food. has guar. Never saw it on the label, just the website. You never can sit back & relax....

9. FurBabiesMama

I feed it every day (4 meals a day).

I know what you mean! But, at a point, you also have to realize that 'perfection' is pretty much impossible to find.. not to mention that you really have to try things with your own cat to see the impact to them which is more important than any article or opinion.. and add in the fact that things are ever-changing even with the same cat; what works fine for for months or even years may all the sudden not be a good option any more.

When I was picking foods to try, I used Dr. P's list and filtered down to where I wanted the nutrition specs to be.. and made sure there was no turkey since Willow is allergic.. and made sure there was no fish since I did not want to regularly feed fish.. then, I made a spreadsheet of foods with EVERY ingredient listed side by side so I could see what they had in common and what ingredients were different. Then, I started researching several of the ingredients - especially if it was something that one or two foods had but the others did not. Then, I went insane and had to be locked in a padded room for a month... just kidding :D, but my point is that it will start to drive you crazy! With all of the information I gathered, I decided upon the Weruva Chicken Frick A' Zee, and it has worked well for us. (Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau looked like a really good option to me (it has no guar gum, by the way), but my girls would not eat it - that is yet another important factor when picking food, perhaps the most important!!!)

Leah likes this.
  10. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

I found with my cats, they will eat the Tiki if I use a blender stick on the food. "Tiki Pate" we call it.
    Since the blender stick doesn't do well with little cans, I double the amount, and vacuum seal the extra in small mason jars. They find this acceptable. Of course, after it's been refrigerated, we warm it up with a little hot water, cover the container, then serve. Every cent is used up. Win Win.

11. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

I just received a sampler of the new recipes(no gluten, starch or carageen), from Weruva. There are 2 cans of Cats in the Kitchen, one of them being Chicken Frick A' Zee, and some pouches.
    are these new numbers for Chicken Frick A' Zee?: protein-10%; crude fat 2.5%;crude fiber .5%; moisture 85%; ash 1.5%; calcium 2.5%; phosphosus .25%magnesium .03%; taurine .05%.....this info is on the can
    on the webiste:
    http://www.weruva.com/catsitk-cans-nutrition.php

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.