? What are the correct syringes??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Thabbo, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thabbo

Thabbo Member

Hi!

I am relatively new to the whole diabetes business and have question about the syringes I should/could use. We are on vetsulin and currently use the U40 syringes, that came with it. I understand that you can use the U100 syringes for better and finer dosage, right? I saw some conversion sheet and also the pictures showing the syringes. However, I don't know which are the correct syringes. I went to our pharmacy and bought U100's but the ones I got are having 2 unit increments, so they are not usable for me. Are there any further specifics you can give me on this?

Thanks!!

Karen

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes. You want U-100, 30 to 33 gauge (thinness increases with the number, so does bendability - I liked 30 gauge) 3/10 mL syringes with half unit markings. Walmart has some.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You want U100, 3/10mL, 30 or 31 gauge syringes with half unit markings

These are the ones we use from WalMart
    relion syringes.png

4. Thabbo

Thabbo Member

Great thanks! ... we don't have a Walmart here, but Ill find them somewhere :cat:

5. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Hi, Karen! I use BD insulin syringes marked on the half-unit (when you're holding them with the needle cap up, the half-unit markings are on the left, the whole units are marked on the right side of the barrel). They are 3/10 mL/cc capacity. Mine are 31 gauge and 8mm length (5/16"), but you can get them with the standard-size longer needle, too.

And @BJM is right about thinness increasing with the number; my 31 gauge needles are pretty fine, so are kind of bendy if I'm not careful.

(Just in case you're wondering: I have to use a shorter needle because the standard length is too hard for me to use on Bat-Bat - she has rather "tight" skin that is not very thick, so is hard for me to pull up enough for a good "tent." For her, I have to bunch up the skin between her shoulders to get a good shot into her!:rolleyes:)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You can order online - see ADW.
    (American Diabetes Online)

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I order Monoject with 1/2U markings from ADW. They ship extremely fast.

9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I just checked mine box of Relion and there are 29 gauge. Is that too thick?

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used 29, 30 and 31 gauge syringes needles. The 29 may "hurt"more.

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

No wonder he flinches. I am due for some new ones soon, I will 30's Thanks Larry!

12. Thabbo

Thabbo Member

I use 29gauge needles right now, and he couldn't care less ... because is so busy eating when I shoot him ;), but I will probably go for the 30 now. I will discuss everything with my vet tomorrow. Thabbo's numbers were quite high today, my vet said that it might take a little while for him to adjust to getting the insulin, so I want to see what she says tomorrow, before I try to play around with the dosage. We added the evening dose last weekend which sent him on a high/low roller coaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.