What do you think this is?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by doombuggy, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

OK, I have been feeding this stray cat that has been hanging around my back porch for about 5 weeks or so. I noticed this spot on his back and thought it was a cigarette burn. last week I noticed it was getting red, so I put some neosporin on a q-tip and dabed him (I call him Dallas) a couple of times. it only got more red. It's looking better (this photo was snapped last night with my phone, so the megapixels aren't that high) but still - what the heck is it? Is this ringworm?

[​IMG]

I haven't noticed any other spots on him, hence the thought that he was burned with a cig. It's perfectly round, smaller than a dime. No, I have not touched it with anything other than the q-tip that went into the trash can when I was done. What are your thoughts?

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Has it gotten any bigger since you first noticed it? Its hard to tell from the picture but does it have any type of crusties around it, or bumps? I would think if i was ringworm it would be getting bigger and spreading, but then again thankfully my experience with ringworm is somewhat limited.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

3. doombuggy

No, it has not gotten bigger, I know that for certain. It has never seemed more than a little dirty when i noticed it getting red last week. I'll try to take a better photo with my camera tonight - it's a 12 megapixel.
    in the 5 weeks or so that he's been hanging around, it has looked the same size and no hari has grown back in that spot, but I have to say his fur coat is no where near as nice as Cedric's.

I gave him some Werva today instead of his usual Friskies pate...

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

In 5 weeks I would have thought if it was ringworm it would have done some spreading, so don't have a clue what it is. Maybe someone else will.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's an abscess that has broken open, drained and then begins to heal. From a fight with
    another cat ?

An abscess that is not properly treated can heal around the 'edges' , leaving an exposed raw
    area underneath.

Time to catch this kitty and get him to a vet for neutering and a check-up !

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is an open wound healing from the edges inward and becoming infected. Something could have pulled out a chunk of fur.

(Loss of a chunk of fur happened once to an indoor/outdoor family cat that was underneath the hood of the car when it was started. We were freaked, but the cat was OK except for bruising and loss of the fur, which was debrided and left open to heal, with daily antibiotic spray applied)

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

No idea but my Janeway had a round thing that looked cigarette sized when I adopted her Sept 15th and it didnt change in appearance til the end of October.. november 1st vet said RINGWORM...!!!! Being outside tho, it could be many other things tho.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jesse, thought you might enjoy this poem....written by sugar cats...about ringworm......

(This is awr furst poem. Cat Astrophy (GA) taut us bout rymin' an we onner him for it. Its bout wat awr Very Stupid Bean went an did.)

ahem...

Once thayre wuz a alien
    With a little bare paw
    But the hares gru bak
    An we thot that wuz all

But 3 little aliens
    The Vary nex day
    Got bare spots on thayr eers an feets
    An still thay played away

The bean faun some medisin
    What she forced down thayr throats
    An all the little hares gru back
    For splendud little coats.

The aliens went bak
    To the shelter place all tame
    Judy Bean wuz happy til
    She saw the mirror frame

YIKES!! She skreemed
    Nearly bustin awt awr brayns
    Thayre patches on my face
    An my han looks mity strange!

The bean used sum medusin
    What heeled up her fayce
    She thot her han wuz sompin else
    An diddnt treet the case.

Her hand got worse!
    Like WE knu it wud’uv
    So she had to cee a dokter bean
    To see wat she shud’uv

The dokter skraped her skin
    (Then washed his hans wif sope)
    An Fungus stayred rite back at him
    Rite thru the mikro skope

The morul to the storee is
    We make it be a law!
    DON’T IGNOR A ALIEN
    WIF A BARE SPOT ON ITS PAW!

9. doombuggy

Ok when are you coming? tried to resuce him myself 7/29 and all I got for it was a bloody hand (still trying to get the blood spots out of my brand new carpet). I have emailed all the rescue groups around here, some haven't responded (emails sent 8/7), a couple have told me they are full and can't help. My next day off is Labor day - I work 7 days a week....so.....

The neosporin seemed to make it worse, so I stopped. Now the spot looks better. Well, better than it did late last week.
    If he does have ringworm, there is no way he's coming near Cedric (or me for that matter). I hear that is contagious, and I think that is what Lori is trying to tell me in her poem...
    I have no problem being his sponsor to get him fixed, tested, etc. But if he has that, he'll need to be kept somewhere for a period of time, right? After him fighting for his life to get the heck out of my garage ( you should see the weather striping around my garage door...again, brand new house/mnew construction), I can't see him staying locked in my guest room....again at a loss..

10. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

Could very well be ringworm (and yes, it is transferable to humans). Try some anti-fungal cream containing clotrimazole.

11. doombuggy

taken with my regular camera, but not much better...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like a wound. I'll bet it's ringworm. I had my friend look at the picture (who also worked at the sanctuary with me and has seen as much ringworm as I have) and she also thinks it's ringworm.

It would be worth it to try the anti-fungal cream. And it won't hurt him if it's not ringworm.

13. doombuggy

Thanks, Carolyn. I will stop at CVS on the way home and get some stuff, start putting it on him tonight. I think we have a box of latex gloves here at the office that we don't use so I will bring of few of those home too. I have never seen his belly and I havne't noticed any spots anywhere else, but who knows....sigh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.