? What does weight gain mean?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by pevsfreedom, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I weigh Luna every Sunday. I've been doing it for about 3 months I think. She was 12.8lbs for awhile but in the last month she's gained a full pound, and today she was at 13.8. She's been steadily going up.

Nothings really changed though her numbers have been better then they ever have. Could that be it?

She's not really overweight or chubby. She actually looks like she's lost weight (she looks slim and trim).

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi John, been a while and was wondering how you and sweet Luna were doing. Give her some scritches for me.

Getting a kitty in better control can help with weight gain. I found one site that said weight gain is a side effect of Levemir. :rolleyes: How is Luna compared to her idea weight or weight well before diagnosis?

I see that Luna is now on 8 units. Did you ever get her tested for acromegaly? We suggest testing for high dose conditions over 6 units. The pituitary tumor that causes acromegaly sends out excess growth hormone - which also leads to weight gain. Bony and soft tissue growth and organ growth happen as a result of the excess growth hormone. As an example, Neko's liver is larger, she has arthritis from the bony growth and she has some soft tissue growth on her gums.

3. pevsfreedom

Everyone's doing great. Hope you and Neko are as well!

I'm really not sure what her ideal weight is. When we got her she was 15 lbs and ended up going down to about 12 when we started insulin at more realistic doses (at the shelter she was on 0.5). She looks healthier then she ever has weight wise, and is very slim/trim like I mentioned. I'm just surprised to see her weight going up but figured it might be a realization of getting her blood sugar under control.

I'm more or less assuming she has acromegaly or IAA. I can't afford treatment if she does so I'm not really sure how much knowing will help. I can't really afford the testing either, what with going through 480 units of insulin a month ($$$!). I think there's no other explanation if she's on 16 units a day - though this dose has been working quite well. Her "symptoms" include being absolutely ravenous at feeding time, snoring very loudly, high dose, etc., so I have to assume something's not right (besides just being diabetic).

4. Wendy&Neko

I was just wondering if the vet had ever mentioned an ideal weight. Maybe a question for the next visit, but if she's looking good that's what counts. From your description of symptoms, and Luna's SS, my guess would be acromegaly. You don't have to get tests done, just be aware of signs and symptoms you might see. Enlarged hearts are something to watch for, especially if the vet ever hears a heart murmur or Luna seems to slow down/get lethargic. The internal medicine vets at CSU told me the most important thing you can do for an acrocat is try to keep their blood sugar in good numbers, and you are doing a fine job at that. I hope you are getting insulin from Canada or a cheaper source now. Neko got back up to 7 units a couple months ago and the cartridges do empty rather quickly.

5. pevsfreedom

We've been to 3 vets and I've yet to find one that was any good really, none had a clue about diabetes (under 200 is deadly one said, other told us she was in remission off one blood test, etc.). I order from Canada thankfully, I'd be broke otherwise. I'll be sure to take her in if anything seems funky with her. Thanks for your concern.

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Punkin got down to 12ish lbs from his high point pre-diabetes of 17+ lbs, but people always commented on how big he was. I don't know if that was because he was Maine Coon or from the acro, but i definitely heard it more after he was diagnosed and he weighed less then. Some people with acro cats describe them as being athletic looking.

It's an ok option to just treat the acro with enough insulin, although as Wendy pointed out, there are other health concerns that can go with it. Another kitty who was diagnosed at the same time as punkin, Tommy, wasn't treated for his acromegaly and he lived 4 years, dying at age 20. That's pretty good. Lauren kept him tightly regulated as much as she could, which seems to help in keeping the dose from "growing" in many cats. Punkin had the SRT and lived 18 months after it, although his death wasn't directly caused by diabetes or acromegaly.

I mostly just wanted to say hi - it's good to see you and Luna.

7. pevsfreedom

Hi Julie! Thanks for checking in. Funny she does look 'athletic' almost compared to her previous bowling ball'ness shape when we got her. I was wondering if Punkin or Neko had 'skinny butts'? Her chest is bulky but she has the tiniest back end.

20 years old would be great! :) Luna is 8 years old right now.

Hope all's well!

Photo on 1-2-16 at 3.22 PM.jpg

granadilla likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

When I was at CSU (again) in November, I talked about muscle tone with both the IM vet and the vet student. Increased muscle mass is a sign consistent with acromegaly. It's more noticeable on Neko's front half. But given that she has early stage CKD, and is now 15, the increased muscle mass is a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.