What in the actual heck??!!!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

This is nuts.. amps was 310... at least I thought it was but I just took 3 readings at +3 447 with insulinX strip. Repeat with insulinX was 300 and comparison AT2 is 468!!!! Broken meter? What could this be?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It's a sign that you should switch to a human meter! ;):bighug:

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The 447 and 468 are the same number. The 300 is probably off... Maybe the drop was too small or you milked the ear too much.

4. Lisa and little

Lol. I know. I’m running out my supplies and will do so. I was researching meters and had picked the relion confirm micro but I see it may be discontinued ? What meter do you recommend that uses a .3 blood drop? Cheap strips would be nice too!

5. Lisa and little

Thanks Janet- Why would either of those things throw off the meter!? Too small a drop shouldn’t read at all and not sure how milking too much would effect the numbers.

6. JanetNJ

Apparently if you milk it too much other liquids in the ear mix with the blood and dilute it. Too small of a drop can throw off a number.

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Too much or too little can both throw the test off. I've found that way too little and the meter won't read, but if I can get even part of the window filled it will read, but can give odd results. I've read the thing about squeezing out other liquids, but honestly haven't found that to be a problem for Sam. ECID and all, but the couple of times I've run side by sides (after worrying that the first test might have been off because of that), there hasn't been any big difference.

As far as glucometers, here is a handy chart that is published every year: http://main.diabetes.org/dforg/pdfs/2018/2018-cg-blood-glucose-meters.pdf

Unfortunately, the 0.3 meters tend to have more expensive test strips, but it looks like there are a couple of new ones out that fall somewhere between the cheap-but-more-blood meters, and the AT2. If Little is a good bleeder though, the 0.5 really isn't bad. That's what I've always used for Sam (I just didn't know about the sample size issue when we started, and by the time I learned about it, we were doing just fine with the bigger sample size).

8. JanetNJ

I recently scored 10 50 count boxes of insulix (not expired) for $100. That will keep me going a while.

9. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

We kept using the ReliOn Confirm, we now get strips from ADW, the Glucocard 01. the ReliOn Confirm is the same as Arkray Glucocard.
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/4047/arkray-glucocard-01-sensor-blood-glucose-test-strips