What should my next steps be, cat not eating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rubydoobydoo, Nov 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubydoobydoo

Rubydoobydoo New Member

Hi y'all, I've been a steady user of this forum and the felinediabetes website, but this is my first time posting.

I got my diabetic cat Ruby almost 2 years ago, she is 14 years old. So to keep it simple, Ruby has not been eating much these past few days. She drinks water and chicken juice (from Fancy feast), nibbles a tiny bit on food, but it's not much. She's lost a dramatic amount of weight (under 7 pounds) over the past couple of months (she was originally 9 pounds). She has multiple complications aside from being diabetic: asthma, benign cyst that gets infected, heart murmur, teeth/gum issues that affect her eating, potentially hyperthyroidism, etc.

In the short time I've had her, I've spent a few thousand dollars, while also struggling financially on my own.
    Now, I deeply care about her but I often feel I didn't have the proper means to have adopted her. I originally got her with my ex and we had agreed to pay for expenses together but that is no longer the case.

Basically, I'm at a lost at what to do. I can't realistically spend another few thousands on her, and I want to ultimately give her the best last times of her life as possible. What are your thoughts? Should I consider euthanasia with my vet? I'm having a hard time figuring out if Ruby is just suffering otherwise. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

That is a decision that only you can make. Just from the info you gave, my initial thoughts were this...
    You said 'potentially hypoglycemia'. If your cat is diabetic, you can do home glucose testing to keep a track on her glucose so you can prevent her from being hypoglycemic.
    How severe is the heart murmur? Cats can have a mild murmur for years without it really causing any issues. Is hers bad enough that she cannot have her dental issues taken care of? Dental issues can really wreak havoc on a cat's overall health, so unless her health otherwise is such that the doctor refuses to do the dental work, I would want to get that taken care of and see if that greatly improves her situation... especially the not eating part. If her mouth hurts, she is not going to want to eat.

3. Rubydoobydoo

Rubydoobydoo New Member

So sorry I meant 'hyperthyroidism'. Her heart murmur is minor it seems, honestly every time I go to the vet there are just so many other concerns we've never deeply investigated the heart murmur.
    And yes I agree that dental issue is likely a big reason why she's not eating, thanks.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If her blood work, etc. indicates that she is healthy enough to have dental work, that is what I would recommend. Cleaning, x-rays and any extractions they determine are needed. It really can make a world of difference. She might end up bouncing around like a new cat and eating like a little piggy!

They can include a T4 test in her blood work and see if she actually has hyperthyroidism. If so, there is medication for that if you do not want to pursue the more expensive treatment options.

If you cannot afford any treatment at all for her, I would suggest looking for organizations in your area that can help you with that.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.