What type of syringe to use for doses smaller than 1 unit

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Eva and Achilles, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eva and Achilles

Eva and Achilles Member

I noticed some of the kitties here are being dosed at .25, .04, etc.

My syringes are U-100 and I can't imagine being able to measure out a dose smaller than 1 unit.

Are there different syringes that show such smaller units?

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Yes, there are U-100 syringes that are marked with 1/2 unit markings also. I get mine at Walmart, called Reli-On. They are 3/10 cc and have half unit markings on them. I also use a PZI insulin that is U-40 and use the conversion chart so I can use a U-100 syringe and do much smaller doses, if needed.

3. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I use the U100 .33CC syringes with the 1/2 unit markings. I have never seen any with smaller markings that 1/2 unit. Most of us that have to give something smaller just estimate where it should be.

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

You go to see Dr. Peterson today, right? Hopefully he will get you off the N and on to Lantus. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

6. Eva and Achilles

Eva and Achilles Member

Thanks. My syringes don't have the 1/2 unit markings. Will have to pick those up.

Yes, we are off to Dr. Peterson tonight. It can't come soon enough. It will be a long car ride for Achilles to get to the vet tonight, but we figured he shouldn't have to see him more than a few times a year. Plus, we do not intend to have him regulated at the dr's office. We will be doing it at home. I just hope no other illnesses are discovered that would require additional treatments and additional visits to the vet.

7. Dale

Dale Member

8. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Eva,
    My thoughts are with you and Achilles. Please let us know of the outcome. I'm sending you much love and hugs, and hopefully everything will be fine soon.
    Taline

9. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Many of us use the syringes with half unit markings

Another way to make tiny doses is to get PZI / ProZinc insulin in U40 strength and use U100 syringes.

There is a 2.5x conversion scale for using the dilute U40 insulin in U100 syringes.

1 unit U40 == 2.5 marks on U100 syringe

So... the half unit mark on U100 syringe will give 0.2u of U40 PZI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.