when can I stop testing BID?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MicheleS, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

Soccer's BG values are on his spreadsheet. He hasn't needed insulin since the morning of 2/6.

At what point do you tink I can decrease the frequency of his testing from BID to SID?

Thanks!!

2. cjleo

cjleo Member

If you want to go to SID, how about random timing? Today do an AMPS, tomorrow a nadir and the next day a PMPS. That way, you won't miss a creeping BG value.

Claudia

3. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

Thanks Claudia. Is there a general rule of thumb like "test BID for the 1st month" or something similar? Testing at the NADIR is hard for me (except the weekends) but I could alternate between AMPS and PMPS. However, I'm prepared to continue BID for a while if that's best. I just don't want to keep sticking him if it is not necessary...
    thanks again!!

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I tested Angus BID for two weeks. He actually did need shots twice in the first month (I shot if he was over 150). I then went to SID for two weeks, then every other day for about a month. I now test twice a week. If he is over 120, I start testing BID again until I see where he is going. He needed one shot in Dec. (been OTJ since June 6), but I am pretty sure that was due to a food change.

5. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

Yesterday our vet said to test once a day at Max's historical high point (which for us is PMPS) for a week, then go to once every other day for a week, then once a week plus whenever he acts odd or drinks too much. Sounds good to me. Of course, if we get wried #s, we'll test more often.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Actually, you can come up with a testing plan that works best for you.

I am sorry to say that I am not a good example of testing after OTJ, as I continued testing for one week and now only test on occasion when I'm curious or think something may be going on.

Typically, testing once a day, then once a week, then once a month, could work well for an OTJ cat. And of course testing whenever you suspect something may be going on and at random times.

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

There are no rules of thumb, Michele, just what you feel is appropriate. Some of us had become such testing junkies that we kept up regular testing for awhile.

Congratulations. You and Soccer have done a great job. And I must say, I've been pleased that a vet would be so gracious about taking advice from a bunch of crazy internet cat ladies and gentlemen.

Take care, and I hope you stick around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.