When Do You Increase Insulin?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Casey Warner, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

Due to all the commotion around July 4 and having family visit, Brownie got into the other cats' food and her glucose levels went up. Then I missed giving her insulin because she got scared and hid where I couldn't find her. Now her numbers are off for three cycles in a row and are over 220. Should I increase the insulin dosage? I was giving her 0.25 units. Unfortunately, I have not had time to update her spreadsheet. I have the numbers written on paper, I just haven't had time to type them in. I won't have time to do a glucose curve until Monday.

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there and bummer about her getting into contraband.

Can you quickly update her SS so that dosing advice can be given?

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Our #1 focus is on the safety of your cat. Like Bobby said, if you an update your spreadsheet, we'll be able to offer informed help. Otherwise, we're shooting from the hip (so to speak) and could inadvertently give you really bad suggestions.

4. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

First, thank you!

The generic anser to your question is that when you increase depends on which dosing method you're following. With SLGS, you increase after a week unless your cat's numbers are in the range you want them to be in. Given that Brownie has been at the current dose for almost 2 weeks and the numbers may be trending up, if this were my cat, I'd increase the dose.

I'd also strongly encourage you to get at least a "before bed" test every night. Many cats drop into lower numbers at night and getting at least one test in helps to insure your cat is safe In addition, without any PM tests, you're missing half of your data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.