? When is it an emergency for Alphatrak

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Elizabeth B, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth B

Elizabeth B Member

We’re still using an alphatrak on tight regulation. I think the point to “take action” is 68, but does anyone have experience/input on when to feed when numbers are dropping?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I used to feed Max a little mc if falling too fast and close to 50. Otherwise I’d wait until low 50’s on a human meter so 68 on an AT.

3. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

So, 68 is the Take action number on the AT, indeed. You normally wouldn't feed above that, except if you can see where you're headed and want to prevent it. But "Take action" means "feed to prevent further drop because it's starting to be in dangerous territory" and "monitor closely".

After that, not to minimise the danger of hypos or anything, I personally didn't start feeling very worried until 40 (which doesn't mean I didn't take action before that or monitor closely, but I didn't freak out). My vet actually said that it could be OK down to 36, understood that lower than that is "take action in the sense of putting lots of sugar in the cat and heading to the vet".

I'm assuming you've read this sticky? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...regulation-shooting-handling-low-numbers.147/

Elizabeth B likes this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

With the AT2 meter keeping the numbers above 68 is recommended with TR. It also depends on WHEN in the cycle the numbers get down to 68 or lower. If it is early in the cycle and the onset is just starting then it would be prudent to feed some higher carb food to keep the numbers from continuing to drop. If it is at nadir time then trying a bit of regular food normally will keep the numbers flat. You test often so you have a good amount of data for your kitty which is wonderful.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I give a little snack when under 75 on alphatrak

6. Elizabeth B

Elizabeth B Member

7. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

The one thing we "know" (and TBH I'm not quite sure how) is that 68 on the AT is considered similar to 50 on a human meter. And that the difference between the two isn't linear, and is smaller for low numbers. The rest is anybody's guesswork... :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.