When should I start insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lau, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lau

Lau Member

Chloe was diagnosed last week with diabetes at the vet with high numbers. Since then I’ve changed her diet and have been giving her fancy feast and friskies food and her numbers of been dropping. She started around 400 and is now down to 310. Should I start giving her the insulin now or should I wait a few more days and see if her numbers go down more? The vet recommended 2 units of Prozinc 12 hours apart but I’m going to double check dosing now as her numbers are lower before I start.
    Thanks
    Laura

2. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hi Laura, I tried for about 2 weeks before starting Sox on his insulin. I took dried food off him and is numbers did start to drop.
    My vet advsed to start insulin as soon as I could really as she said they stand a better chance of remmision if it's started early.
    We started with 1.5u but had to drop dose as Sox dropped quiet low on the first day we started the insulin.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Generally, a week with only low carb canned food is enough to see how much it's going to lower the numbers.

But 2U is a pretty high starting dose...we usually start at 1U and through home testing go up slowly, in small increments (as needed)

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I would start now, but no more than 1 unit twice a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.