When to Dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by becarose, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becarose

becarose New Member

Hello again! Today's questions are about insulin timing. Baloo is on ProZinc, and according to my mom (who picked him up after his diagnosis) the vet recommended giving the dose AFTER eating. My reading on here has led me to believe that I should be shooting BEFORE he eats. On to the questions:

Does the timing of the dose (before/after eating) have an effect on blood sugar levels?
    If there is an effect, is is possible that I haven't seen any improvements because I'm shooting at the wrong time?

Aside from that, blood testing has been going slow; I think my bottle of test strips got thrown out by mistake... ohmygod_smile And aside from that we're going on an honest to goodness vacation this Wednesday! Baloo will be going to the vet's "cat hotel", which is the second floor of their practice, where he'll be able to roam and sleep in front of windows. I'm hoping the vet will be able to help get his still high (according to urine tests) numbers down, and then I'll take over after we get back.

...Who thought vacation could be so stressful??? :shock:

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It's test, feed, shoot. You want a test before food because the food can raise the bg levels. We want numbers not influenced by food. Lots of us give the shot while they are eating.

If you want to post your numbers, maybe we'll have suggestions.

You might take the low carb food to the cat hotel. Sometimes they just feed dry because it's handy....

3. becarose

becarose New Member

I'm glad I'm going in the right order and just misread! I don't have any solid numbers to put up as of now, the most consistent readings I've been able to get are urine tests which show him at 2000 mg/dL. The last blood test I was able to get was on Friday afternoon (about halfway through his morning/evening feeding) which read 'Hi' (over 600, according to the meter book). I'm thinking I want to ditch the kibble since he happily eats wet food but I'm hesitant to do so on only urine tests.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you having trouble with testing? Can we help?

5. becarose

becarose New Member

Right now I'm out of strips as my box got thrown out. ohmygod_smile I'll be going to get some more tomorrow, but again, Tuesday he'll be heading to the vet for the week. (I will be bringing his own food along.) I have been able to successfully draw blood with everyone's help here, it's just a matter of having enough time to get the process going and adjust as necessary.

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Why is he going to the vet for the week? Is there another issue...?

7. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

She is going on vacation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.