When to know to increase insulin level

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kris10mo, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

Hi. Calley has been on Lantus now for a week. I see no improvements in her.....though she did not vomit today as I gave her very small meals.

I completed the curve and it doen'st mean much to me....except that her numbers are too high. I will be calling the vet tomorrow with the curve results to see what he recommends.

Should I increase the insulin from .5 to 1 unit? I don't know what to think about the difference in test readings on the damn monitor. I mean....there is a huge difference between 62 and 308.

Her +9 was 145 and her +12 was 160.

I will do a few days of +6's to see where her nadir is.

Thanks all. Still trying to figure out this sweet girl.

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

What I saw on the curve yesterday. Was pretty darn sweet for a diabetic. Many of us would kill for those numbers. And if her nadir was the curve 62 which makes sense compared to the rest of the curve. To raise her dose would send her into hypo.

Mel and The Fur Gang

3. LindaMS

LindaMS Well-Known Member

I cant see Cally s spreadsheet, but by what Mel describes, I agree, hold the line. The high ends of the cycle are a direct reaction (bounce) from the nice lows she is getting, and is completely normal and expected.

Remember, with Lantus or Levimir, we dont dose based on preshot, we dose based on lowest number in the cycle (nadir). Try not to pay much attention to the preshot numbers, other than to be sure she is not too low to shoot.

4. MommaOfMuse

I'm working on the spreadsheet some reason its not coming off the private setting. So right now Kris can't edit even though she has editing rights.

Mel and The Fur Gang

5. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

hi kris
    just wanted to tell you that of my "civies" looks exactly like your cat. my Leah could be her twin. if i didn't know i would never know that it wasn't my Leah. calley is beautiful.
    nadine

6. MommaOfMuse

Think I have the link working to Calley's spreadsheet...can someone check it for me and see if its working. Since I am technically the owner of the sheet it works for me, just not sure if it does for outside users.

Mel and The Fur Gang

7. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

YUP!!! I can see the spreadsheet now.

8. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

Thanks Nadine. I have always loved calicos. Calley is my second calico/white girl. I had Alley before her. :)

9. atajev

atajev Member

Mel, the spreadsheet looks good to me now, too! Yesterday after you granted me access (I'm the Katie who asked for it), I noticed that the sharing settings looked like it was only shared with the link to people who were members of a specific domain, rather than anyone on the internet.

And yes, Kris, the numbers actually look AWESOME for a cat on insulin, especially early on. I know it's distressing for it not to be all in the normal range immediately, but that's not how the healing of their bodies takes place. What you're seeing is VERY GOOD, and getting some +6 numbers over the next few days will almost certainly confirm that.

I saw I great analogy yesterday that someone posted on the Health board about Lantus being like someone who starts out jogging slowly next to their out-of-shape friend while encouraging them to help them gradually get stronger. The end result is that they can run faster and be fit, but it takes a while. Medications that result in immediate and drastic drops were likened to dragging the cat along by the neck to get to the end point as fast as you wish they could. The end result from that is that you can repeat it every day and the cat will always be gasping for breath and in no better shape. (I think this was something that Chris & China wrote, though I didn't go back to check - I hope I'm giving credit where it's due!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.