When to replace insulin vial?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaryB & Chester, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaryB & Chester

MaryB & Chester Member

We started this vial of Insulin back on December 15 of last year.
    It still looks good - clear, no clouding or floaties. It's been refrigrated the whole time and hasn't been frozen at all.
    Do you think it's still good, or is it time for us to get a new vial?

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you hometesting? Usually you can tell when the insulin is starting to lose its effectiveness when start to see an increase in bg readings. Usually a vial starts to lose its punch around 3 months but some have been able to use it for 6 months or so before it needs to be replaced.

Please read my post from today about new insulin vial/pen warning. When you change to a new vial, you need to monitor your cat for a few days since the new one will be stronger than the one you were using.

3. MaryB & Chester

MaryB & Chester Member

That would be a lot easier to tell if Chester had ever given us good, steady numbers...

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Can you do a curve? Or at least get a couple of midcycle tests to see how low he is going? That will tell you if it's working or not..

I would do it anyway, he is bouncing pretty high and I find myself wondering how low he is going.

Are you testing for ketones? Also how are his 5Ps?

5. grapey

grapey Member

My vials of Lantus have only lasted about five months max. I need to see if I can find a pharmacy that will sell me a single pen.

6. MaryB & Chester

MaryB & Chester Member

The vet actually just called to remind me to get a new vial. I'll do a curve after we get the new insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.