When to test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ezrunnerp, Nov 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezrunnerp

ezrunnerp New Member

My cat, Zoe was diagnosed a couple of months ago, and her glucose is in the 300s when tested at the vets. I just joined this forum, and saw that many do home testing. I think I understand how to do it, but am not sure when or how often.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You always should test before shooting to make sure they're high enough to get insulin at all.

Then you should try to test at least once mid-cycle on the AM cycle (somewhere around 5-7 hours after the morning shot) and then at least one test "before bed" on the PM cycle

Kathleen Einwich likes this.
  3. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Welcome. Home testing is the best way to keep Zoe safe from going hypo and also best to monitor there health (sudden spikes or drops in a regulated cat may indicate something else going on affecting BG. Typically tests are AMPS (morning preshot) and PMPS (evening preshot). Then there is also the process of doing a "curve" which is testing every hour or two over the cycle of the insulin (usually 12 hour cycle). This is done to see how your kitty reacts to the particular insulin they are on. It also will usually tell you when during the cycle the insulin creates the biggest drop ("nadir) in your Kitty's BG #. Doing a curve is the best way to determine if dosing needs to be adjusted up or down. Usually once your kitty is regulated it will be morning and evening testing (plus I usually tested just before bedtime because most cats will go lower in BG reading during the night) In conjunction there is feeding which is critical. The normal order is "test / feed / shoot". If for some reason they aren't eating you have to consider whether to give insulin or not as you also do if for some reason their BG is unusually low at test time. Many folks on this site have more experience and can give advice in the situations I just mentioned.
    There are several videos posted either here or on youtube of how to test your kitty using a BG meter. It is a relative easy process and will give you peace of mind that you are keeping your pal safe!
    And I have to say good for you taking the time and interest in doing home testing. I wish every vet would encourage and explain the virtues of home testing to newly diagnosed kitty owners! You can set up a spreadsheet (template available on here) on your page that allow you to chart Zoe's progress and also for members here to refer to when you may have questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.