When you weren’t able to pick up the food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JeanW, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeanW

JeanW Member

2 hours before AMPS what would you do? Pretty Girl has run quite high for days.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Why aren't you able to pick up the food Jean? Is it too early and she might have nibbled on food left out overnight? Or are you working? I think I would look into one of those automatic carousel type feeders, you could set it to where it turns to an empty dish at least 2 hours before test time.

3. JeanW

JeanW Member

I turned off the alarm in my sleep and didn't get up.

Good suggestion to look for an automatic feeder.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Don't beat yourself, Jean! You've been "doing this" for a year now. By now you should have a good feel if you're able to shoot a full dose on just about whatever preshot number you've been presented... whether you've picked up the food or not. FWIW, I don't think I ever intentionally picked up Alex's food prior to injection. My sleep was too important.

This "pick up food 2 hours prior to shot time" business is initially suggested as a help and safeguard for newbies... it gives them a better/clearer picture of the fasting blood glucose number. However, once you have a god idea of how your cat responds to insulin and food... it's just not necessary. Somehow, it's become a "rule" for life of every diabetic cat around here.

Funny thing is, those of us who made the suggestion in the first place intended it as temporary... time to get to know your cat and their response. It was and never will be a "rule".

:cat: "Know thy cat". :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.