Where do you draw the blood

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dbeaudreau, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbeaudreau

dbeaudreau New Member

I'm having a difficult time figuring out where to draw the blood. The vet said the ear but that seems like it's going to get raw real quick. I've had a diabetic dog and I drew her blood from her elbow pad. Worked great. The cats skin is so detached that I can't seem to figure out where to test and get a decent drop.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The majority of us use the ear......if you apply a little pressure after the poke, they don't bruise

A lot of us use a little Neosporin with pain relief ointment (not cream) to help promote healing.

sweet spot diagram.PNG

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I''m surprised you used the elbow pad for a dog. What I read (and have used) is the inner lip.
    I have used the ears for all of my cats. For two cats, I did I used the ears for almost ten years and the ears did show a littler "wear" but were fine.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Sometimes it looks worse than it is. Noah's right ear is a vascular wasteland so I've been poking his left ear in the same place forever. He is very patient which is a trust issue so your experience with your dog is a big positive.
    "The cats skin is so detached" You don't mean that literally, can you clarify?

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Very outer edge. You can switch ears and do the outside edge or inside edge. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC. I've been testing her for a year and a half and no damage to her ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.