Where do you store your meter?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mouse & Me, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

recently, I had a problem with a meter, and had to replace it.
    I was thinking, maybe where I kept it had something to do with it's failure. It was in a box, with my clips,(lancets), cosmetic puffs for her ear, flashlight,(to see through her black fur), and strips. It was on top of my dresser, unfortunately, near an air conditioner vent. I keep things comfy, due to rosacea problems. A stuffy room makes my face go bright red.

Until I get more information about it's storage, I am keeping the meter in the travel case, and putting it inside a drawer. Very awkward.

I was thinking of keeping it in a covered box, away from the vent, so I don't have to unzip everytime I test.

How do the rest of you store your meter?

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I used to put it in the pouch it came in and take it out each time, now I just leave it out with the rest of my testing supplies in a bin. I doubt the vent would be a problem for the meter, but could affect the strips for sure, they should say the temp to keep those at, mine say between 34-86 Fahrenheit. I doubt your AC is that cold, but maybe keeping them out of an area with huge temp fluctuations is a good idea.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

mine sits next to my "testing area"

I agree with Stacy....you shouldn't have any problem keeping it where you like it.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Worry more about the strips and insulin. Electronics don't like heat, humidity or being dropped. Just like some of our cats I keep almost everything in a whicker box.
    Modern everything can be fickle. I have a JVC stereo that will be 30 this year. I clearly remember having to buy my first CD so I could use the CD player, Paul Simon's Graceland. JVC made things too well, now they're out of business.
    Oh yeah, it's batteries that can sit in warehouses forever. They make a billion of one kind, then switch to another. Just like Campbells soup. :oops:

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  5. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

When I was testing regularly I would leave it lying around (out of the case) near where I would most often test Quintus (he's so mellow we didn't really have a testing area, I would just test him wherever he was napping). Now that I test more often, it's on a shelf near where I keep the cat meds so that I know where to find it :)

6. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I keep mine in a bin with all other diabetic supplies on my kitchen counter
    Same as @Stephanie & Quintus we dont have a testing area, bella is layed back and I just come on bella and we go to wherever

7. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I keep all my diabetic supplies (meter, lancets, strips, cotton rounds, etc) in a small plastic bin and leave it on the side of the microwave in the kitchen. I keep my other cat's pill box on top of the cover so when I used to test Rex daily, I would remember Tanner needed his meds, too.

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I keep my meter with a few lancets in the case right on my kitchen table. I use a piece of gauze a few times and keep that in the case also. The strips in their bottle is also kept on table. The rug I use to put Olive on to test is folded over a chair. Yes, I test on my kitchen table. It's the only table in my house. All the extra lancets, boxes of strips, gauze squares are in a self cabinet where their food is in corner of kitchen/dining area.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  9. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Our office desk has officially become the cat diabetes station, and the office is his very own room lol. We do all our work on the dining room table now. I don’t always keep the meter in the case bc like you said it’s annoying to open and close. Most of the time all the stuff is all over the desk. hope this helps. :D

10. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having a bin for all the stuff - I might go to target and get one! Thanks for the tip everyone haha.

11. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I keep lancets and cosmetic cotton strips in my case. I like it in case because no matter where I am, if she hears the zipper she comes to be tested. I keep it in my bedroom, you can hang meat in it if you wanted too. I keep wrinkles at bay by freezing them lol my power surges demand ac.

Djamila and Idjit's mom like this.
  12. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

I went cheap, I used two lancet boxes and cut the flaps off. 1 for lancets, 1 for cotton balls. The meter and flashlight sat on the counter next to everything else. The strip bottle was really my only concern since moisture can affect readings. Only issue I ever had was dropping a meter onto tile and breaking the screen. It might be worth trying a new button cell battery if you have the old one. Get them on Amazon, not the corner drugstore :) You can get 5+ batteries for less then one from walgreens/CVS

13. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

i keep mine organized inside an oldie wooden purse that i partitioned out with soft/hard foam so i can easily carry it wherever. tux actually knows the sound of the handle and comes up to be tested every time (probably cause he usually gets fed or a treat afterwards). it usually sits on cofee table during day and on book shelf at night, i too have rosacea and keep house cool and vent is near both coffee table and shelf and have had no meter issues.

Attached Files:

14. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Is that some kind of Amish thing? ;)
    I had wooden shoes once, don't feel bad. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.