Where is everyone, I need help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Ive been posting for a couple days now trying to find out which Friskies pate is safe to fed now.

Skittles has had very high BG levels. He has been in remission for over a year. Right now he has an infected tooth and is on medicine for that. And I think that is probably why his levels have been so high. And I wasn't aware that Friskies has change their carbs, so I could have been feeding him higher carbs and not known it.
    What I'm desperately trying to find out right now. (Because I need to go to the grocery store right away ) is what Friskies should I get ? I am feeding 2 cats. Out of desperation I went and got 20 cans of fancy pleased that we are still listed on the safe food list ( I understand that it was made years ago, but have been following it this whole time ) since fancy feast is only 3 ounces I only have a few left and I really want to go back to the larger cans that Friskies makes but I am too scared to feed him something that might has a higher carb count that I'm not aware about. I gave him 1 unit Thursday morning , and so far his BG has been holding at 126 to 167 BUT if I feed him a higher carb count that could bring his numbers back up again.
    Can someone please, please advise me on which Friskies to get . I am out of work ,on a very strict, strict income. Skittles actually needs to get a dental done, but all I can do right now is the Med for his infection.
    Please help us

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Sherri, you want any of the 'pate' Friskies - not the gravy, sauce or cheese ones, silver tops. NOT the green topped cans...

EDIT TO ADD: You can also buy it in the larger 13oz cans....

3. sherrib

I thought a lot of people said they changed and have a high carb count?

4. sherrib

I've always gotten the pate ones off the safe list

5. sherrib

Thank you for replying though :)

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There were some reports of the Fancy Feast Classics changing formulas but not every cat has had any problems with it

I'd continue feeding what your cat likes (that's low carb) and just watch the numbers.....if they go up and you can't find any other reason, check the food

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

we have not had any ff issues either

8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo is on Fancy Feast classic. It is great for diabetic cats. If you have more time than money, you might consider cooking inexpensive chicken or turkey. If Skittles likes it better than canned, those natural foods are fairly cheap. But they take time to cook, and dice. I do not feed Leo raw uncooked meat, but some people do.

Pound for pound, I think chicken might be cheaper than Fancy Feast.
    3oz = 0.1875 pounds = ~$0.52/can
    so 5 cans = 0.94 pounds = ~$2.60/pound
    I think chicken can be purchased often for $2.00/pound.

Chicken is not a rounded diet, but it is mostly natural.

9. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

How much worse are the non-pate Friskies? My boy stopped eating them so I went back to other varieties and focus on higher protein ones; 10-12% protein. He also lost interest in the canned DM quite fast and it is the Savory chicken in a sauce flavour.

10. sherrib

I thought it was Friskies it changed their formula that's why I went and got fancy feast ?

11. sherrib

Very high carbs, some pate have zero carbs. I am very strict with his carb count, and he started going into remission the same day I switched to low carb back in Dec 2015.

12. sherrib

I am very interested in learning about cooking his own food instead of buying it. Where can I find that information?

13. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I came across this site, maybe it will help you out with your kitty.

Attached Files:

14. Lisa and Smoky

You can try Dr Lisa Pierson's site catinfo.org .

15. sherrib

Thank you Lisa , I will look at it. BTW, my only female furchild was also named Smokie. But she passed away 4 months , she was 16. But I know in my heart that she would be still be here if my husband ( EX now ) had called me , but he took her to the vet and they talked him into putting her asleep and he did it without even calling me! But that's a long story to tell...

16. sherrib

I just found that site last night and love it! I haven't had time to explore the whole site yet though

17. Lisa and Smoky

I can understand why he is your EX now.

sherrib likes this.
  18. Lisa and Smoky

Be careful if you decide to make your own cat food. Cats need a balanced diet, and Dr Lisa's site really goes into detail about it.

19. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes, cats do need a balanced diet. Don't just feed them chicken. For our cats, they get chicken every 2 or 3 days. I just buy a bunch of chicken tenders and bake them until done. Then the time consuming part. I chop it all up and freeze it in containers, including the juice. The fur-kids love it.

20. Lisa and Smoky

21. Chris & China (GA)

If you're interested in making your own cat food, there's also a good supplement lots of people are using called EZ Complete

It gives you the option of cooking the protein or using it raw too and is very simple to use

22. sherrib

What other food and ingredients do you use when you make your own and is that the only thing you feed them or do you use and cat food to ?

23. sherrib

Thank you for the link I'll definitely check it out!

maybe making my own food is the way for me to save money since I have so little of it

24. sherrib

Where Can I find the supplement?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  25. Chris & China (GA)

Click on the blue words "EZ Complete" and it will take you to their website

When you see something in blue in your post, it's a link to more information

sherrib likes this.
  26. sherrib

Is this what you do for your babies, and by the way I just noticed that you have a Maine coon, I absolutely love that breed.

27. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

28. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah they are truly awesome cats!!

This is mine
    Cheaser.jpg

29. sherrib

Yes, I want them to but they don't like any one I've gotten

StephG likes this.
  30. sherrib

Beautiful! Sucks they have short life span though!

31. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Bummer! I'm lucky that my boy will eat anything... I swear I could chop up paper and he'd eat it! Ever since he became diabetic he is always "starving". I hope you can find an affordable option.

32. sherrib

Really sucks since it's cheaper , and so many more to pick from!

StephG likes this.
  33. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Have you tried the 9Lives Meaty Pate with Real Turkey & Giblets?

It's the only 9Lives that my guys will eat when they don't want to eat any of the others... and it's only 3.8 carbs!
    :):cat:

34. sherrib

I am not sure, I did a lot though but will definitely buy a can and try it. I switched over to FF 2 days ago and check out his BG. Last night I put down some Friskies ( Tuna & Egg ) and this morning his BG was higher compared the past 2 days. Of course this could just be a coincidence because it was time for his medication for his infected tooth. It's just odd that he has had such good numbers for A year and two weeks and suddenly they went up very high. I understand about the infection but now I'm really starting to wonder about the carb count in his food.

35. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

What carb level are you feeding?

The Friskies Tuna & Egg (in sauce) has 8 carbs (per catinfo.org)... might be to high...?

36. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Beautiful kitty - and so is China. :)

37. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think that the tooth infection is probably a more important factor right now.

38. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

You might want to try feeding something lower carb... just be careful... and monitor his BG numbers when doing this... lowering the carb count could lower his BG quickly.

Some good ones to try (that I feed)...

Fancy Feast Chunky Chicken Feast- 5 carbs... may be a bit on the high side?

Fancy Feast Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast- 0 carbs... be careful with this one... NO carbs.... and all my cats go crazy for it!!

9LiesMeaty Pate With Real Chicken- 2.6 carbs

9LivesMeaty Pate With Real Ocean Whitefish- 2.9 carbs

9Lives Meaty Pate With Real Turkey & Giblets- 3.8 carbs

9Lives Meaty Pate With Real Chicken & Tuna- 3.9 carbs

39. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

sherrib likes this.
  40. sherrib

What food do you use and what's the carb count?

41. sherrib

And do you have a SS so I can see his BG levels?

42. sherrib

Since Nov 2015 nothing over 10 carbs , but I usually keep him as close to zero as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.