? where to find supplies

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cookieLu1999, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cookieLu1999

cookieLu1999 New Member

Hi, I am Maria and my kitty is Phoebe. We are new here; I posted and intro on the intro page. I couldn't find a thread that focused on supplies, did I overlook it?
    Anyway, I have 12 senior kitties, most of whom have medical conditions and the majority of my money goes to vet care and prescripyion meds for my kitties. I have been all over the internet, and called all kinds of local pharmacies and am having a hard time finding u40 syringes, let alone at a lower price. Seems like I'm going to have t pay $30 for 100 syringes to my vet, does that sound about right? Is u40 pretty much a veterinary specific size to make sure we have to pay a premium and buy directly from the vet? I don't know whether to buy the 1cc or the .5cc size. My vet only told me to get u40 insulin syringes. Do cats ever need more than .5cc of inslin? And it seems I should definitely get syringes with .5 incriments, right? I think I've read that 2 units is a large dose for a cat. But my brain is in overload right now as we begin Phoebe's journey with diabetes and the numbers are beginning to get confusing. I have read mixed reviews of the Walmart ReliOn glucometer. Is it true in this instance that you get what you pay for? What is the most used glucometer for home testing cats? Are there any websites that list comparisons from user feedback? And are there other groups I should be joining? I'm accustomed to Yahoo!Groups for all my other kitty diseases, but couldn't find one for feline diabetes. I sure would appreciate any sage advice. thanks!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Insulin is dosed in units. U-40 means 40 units in 1 mL (ie cc). Since you're only giving 2 units, the smallest syringe is fine.
    Which U-40 insulin are you giving - ProZinc, BCP PZI, or Vetsulin/Caninsulin?
    ADW on our shopping page carries U-40 syringes.
    Or, use the conversion chart and use U-100 syringes which can be obtained at most pharmacies. Some states do require a prescription.
    I use the WalMart ReliOn Confirm or Confirm Micro. The Prime takes more blood and can be somewhat erratic with cats at times.
    See my signature link Glucometer Notes for some feline-specific reference ranges.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. cookieLu1999

cookieLu1999 New Member

Thank you for welcoming me, BJM.
    Phoebe has not yet recieved any insulin. My vet intends to give her ProZinc. Phoebe will not start insulin until Wednesday I think, maybe tomorrow. They had to order the ProZinc. My vet charges a healthy fee for teaching how to give the insulin injections and how to do home testing. All I need to learn is how to get the blood from the ear; I can give injections no problem.
    Phoebe also has gastric lymphoma and it is likely that her high dose of prednisolone has caused her diabetes. The pred was reduced from 5mg twice a day down to 2.5mg once a day. On this lower dose for three days Phoebe's BG went from 236 up to 273 (or so, I can't remember the exact number right now) . My vet wants to do another abdominal ultrasound to re-evaluate her need for pred or the addition of leukeran, but I cannot swing it right now, especially since I want a little in the bank in case she has a hypoglycemic emergency. I read the page on keeping a hypoglycemia 'toolbox' and I have that all set up. I am terrified of her having a hypoglycemic event!!
    I missed the shopping page. I got the impression it was for buying site related 'stuff' not related to treatment. I will peruse it next and will definately check out your signature link too!
    Thanks for replying to my post, BJM! I appreciate your help and input. :)). I know I am not alone in being terrified, but it doesn't lessen the fear and anxiety I have. But I will persevere, and Phoebe will get optimum care!

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Maria, and welcome to FDMB.

I think you're amazing to be caring for 12 senior kitties. :bighug:
    (I find my lot quite a challenge at times (only 4 seniors and 2 energetic 9-month youngsters....))

Here is the link to the FDMB page of hometesting info, tips, tricks and example videos:
    Hometesting Links and Tips

Regarding getting blood, the most helpful tips I've been given are:
    1. Most important: Make sure the ear is warm. Warm ears bleed so much better than cold ones.
    2. It helps to apply a little pressure to the underside of the ear, opposite to where you're pricking. The lancet needs something to resist otherwise it can push the ear away rather than prick it. Some folks use a little piece of cotton wool or folded tissue. I use a fingertip (but sometimes get a blood sample from myself by doing that...)
    3. Massaging immediately below the ear prick can 'milk' more blood out. (I nearly always do this.)
    4. Two ear pricks close together can often get enough blood for a test where one ear prick might not.
    5. A teensy weensy smidge of vaseline on the outer edge of the ear can help the blood to 'bead up' rather than disappear into the fur.

Most of us reward our kitties for tests (or attempted tests) with treats or cuddles. And I actually test my kitty while he is munching on some crumbled treats, and he doesn't really notice the test.
    If a kitty doesn't like having it's ears touched it can be helpful to get it used to this by holding/massaging the ear briefly and then rewarding with a treat.
    If a kitty really hates having it's ears touched then it is possible to test the paw pads rather than the ears (some folks here find the paw pad easier to test).

You have a great, positive attitude, and I have no doubt that hometesting will soon become second nature to you. ;)

Eliz

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Maria,

Here is the link to the FDMB guide to using Prozinc (it contains a lot of useful info):
    Protocol for ProZinc/PZI

And regarding hypoglycemia; whilst this is an understandable fear, do let me reassure you that this is a pretty rare occurrence in kitties that are regularly hometested (have their blood glucose monitored at home).
    If the kitty's blood glucose is tested prior to the insulin shot (to check it's OK to give insulin) and is then checked a couple of hours later, it is usually possible to spot potential low numbers before they happen.
    If it looks like the blood glucose is dropping too low or too fast, then it is usually possible to 'steer' the blood glucose level with food in order to avoid dangerously low levels.

If you are concerned at any point, then do post on the forum. This is an international forum and there is almost always someone here who can help.

Eliz

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Since you've not started insulin yet, now is the time to change to low carb canned or raw food. This can drop the glucose 100-200 mg/dL and may reduce the dose on insulin by as much as 1-2 units, which will save you money in the long run if you get to a diet-controlled state. I've 16 cats of assorted ages and one of the most economical foods I've found is Friskies pates. There are 13 ounce cans which run up to $1.10 in Ohio; less at WalMart if you're OK shopping there.
    There are very limited low carb dry foods, which we don't actually recommend, but may help while you transition. Evo Cat and Kitten dry (non-fish) and Young Again 0 Carb (internet only - pricey, although allegedly, you feed very little because it is concentrated) are 2 varieties. Most dry foods run 30-40% calories from carbohydrates. See Cat Info for more info on feline nutrition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.