Where to get 1/2 unit syringes in CANADA?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Pip & Rupert, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pip & Rupert

Pip & Rupert Well-Known Member

sorry, wasn't sure where to post this question, please move to where ever is appropriate if it's clogging up info here!

having a heck of a time finding half unit syringes. right now I"m using u100, 3/10cc 12mm(half inch) 29g. that's the smallest I can find. I've tried Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmasave, Walmart, Safeway... any one here know where I can buy this size (long) with half unit measures? would love to find 30 or 31g as an added bonus. Thanx in advance.

2. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I don't believe anyone makes a long (1/2") needle in 31g and suspect that they may not make it in the 30g either. So you'll probably have to stick with 29g if you want the 1/2" needle.

Are you able to order off ADW or Hocks to get the syringes with 1/2 unit markings? I'm thinking it's too expensive to have them shipped to Canada. You can PM Karrie (Karrie and Maverick) and
    see where she got her syringes.

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i think most of us buy our supplies online. i looked everywhere locally (town of 55,000) and not a single place sold syringes that size marked with .5u.

in addition to the ones George gave you, people also buy from http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com . if you click on the link on the top of the Lantus page it gives a percentage to support this website. if you need the $, you can register through http://www.mrrebates.com and get a 4% rebate back. some people also buy supplies through ebay - but go with established sellers.

btw, this is fine, but you can also just edit your subject line over and over during the day to include things like this as well.

5. Pip & Rupert

ok. Walgreens? don't think we have one.(I thought that was a US company anyway?) As for ordering online, most companies I've found won't ship to Canada, especially syringes/needles! I don't think the American Diabetes one that you linked to will ship to Canada either? . I'll keep searching I guess.

6. Pip & Rupert

ok, so I checked the ADW site and they DO ship to Canada.. but for $37 worth of syringes it will cost $30 JUST in shipping.. which seems insane. sigh.

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I am not sure why you are having problems getting the 1/2 unit syringes. I have always been able to get them from Shoppers' DrugMart.

Ask them to look up online and get some in stock for you.
    Also London Drugs should be able to get them in stock for you.

Granted, they are not in big supply at all locations, but you CAN get them.
    I have always stocked up on them when I find a location. If they have 4 boxes, I buy all 4.

8. Pip & Rupert

haven't tried London Drugs yet. I keep bugging my shoppers drug mart (which is where the prescription for the insulin is), but they just stare blankly at me. maybe I'll see if they'll order them in. I have to go into town this weekend so I'll check out London Drugs.. and yeah, will definitely stock up if I find a source! thanx!

9. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

I have 31g half unit but 8mm needle. Got them at Shoppers. You should be able to have them order. I believe the pharmacy at Loblaws also carried them.

My vet gave me 28g 12mm needle but they're 1/2cc not 3/10. They were for B12 shots. Not sure if they're useful for anything else.

10. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I have not purchased insulin syringes recently, but in Ontario I was buying the BD Ultra Fine II 3/10 cc short needle with 1/2 unit markings. As far as I know, BD does not make a syringe with half unit markings and a long needle. I believe that other manufacturers do, but I didn't use them, so can't tell you much about them. As others have mentioned, I found them at Shoppers Drug Mart, at Costco, and in other pharmacies such as ones inside grocery stores. The box is not labelled very obviously. The boxes with and without half unit markings look very similar. The 1/2 unit marking is labelled inside the oval on the front of the box where it says 3/10 cc. Sometimes (often) the pharmacy clerks don't even realize there is a difference.

http://www.bd.com/ca/diabetes/english/page.aspx?cat=14502&id=14907

11. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

You're on Vancouver Island, yes? Are you in Victoria or more the Interior?
    I am sure if you talk to the pharmacist at Shoppers, you can get some supply ordered.
    I love using Shoppers because all my supplies add up to free money on the Optimum card.
    Right now, I have $60 just sitting on my card for use and it's all from points on purchases of insulin and test strips and syringes.

12. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I got the BD syringes from Shoppers. They are the worst for accuracy though - so watch where the zero line is. Often it was 1/2 unit of insulin before it got to the zero mark on some bad ones. 3 out of 10 were really off and Maverick was on a single drop (down from 1 unit) so I guess thats why we knew how off they were.

I ended up getting syringes from Ontario Medical Supply locally - 1/2 unit Monojects which were much more accurate. The safety sleave on them made them kind of a pain too but much more accurate.

You can call around. I found we had a lot less fur shots when we switched to the 1/2 unit short needles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.