where to inject

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by beckyandwinston, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beckyandwinston

beckyandwinston Member

My boy has just decided he doesnt like the injection anymore. Hav been injecting in scruff of his neck / between his shoulder blades. Is there anywhere else i can inject? Any ideas why he suddenly doesnt like it or is it just because he feeling better? Was just starting to feel easy bout how he was and now worrying about having to give the injection

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Musette didn't like getting her shots in the scruff either so with her I inject on her side...basically in the loose skin behind where her ribs end and her hips start. She tolerates the stickers much better there. I think with her since I shoot while she eats and she came from a household where the other cat was a bully and run her off the food dish, it made her jumpy to have me so close to her food while trying to shoot in the scruff.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette, Autumn & The Fur Gang

3. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

I shoot Sneakers in the flanks- one side in the morning and the other at night. She prefers it to the neck scruff.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Here are some pictures: How to give a shot What size needle? Sometimes the bigger ones hurt. Do you sure hold the syringe in your hand for a few minutes to warm it up? I never realized how much a shot could sting until I got a cold flu shot once. It hurt!

5. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Mocha didn't mind the shots the first day or two .. then she started fighting us .. we couldn't get the shots in her for nothing .. had another member of the board come over and the same thing .. she fought us tooth and nail, every single day, twice a day for nearly two years. I won't lie. That was the most frustrating thing about FD for us .. but we did it .. WE held firm with HER and showed her she WAS going to be getting these shots. We shot her in the side, and only tried the scruff once. SHE made it clear to US that was not going to happen again!

6. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

If you are using an insulin like Lantus and you can rely on him eating, try shooting him when he's distracted with his face in the bowl. That's what I do with Scooter and he doesn't even flinch. I shoot him in the side area, kind of between his shoulders and his ribs. I just grab a clump of hair and pull gently on it to make a tent and inject into that. Never ever had a fur shot doing it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.