Where's the water?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer and Hannah, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer and Hannah

Jennifer and Hannah Member

This morning Hannah's water dish was almost empty. Granted, I don't keep a lot in there otherwise it's hard to tell how much is gone, but all that was left was a thin layer that barely swirled. I haven't seen so much water gone from her bowl in one day since before we started on wet food and insulin. My first thought was "Uh oh", but I scooped her litter pan (which I normally do around this time every day) and there weren't any more clumps of pee than there usually are (about 3). There was a normal-sized still wet clump, so I don't think she's having any problems peeing (and I walked by once yesterday while she was peeing and she didn't seem to be straining or uncomfortable at all). There really are no hidden areas in my house where she could pee or throw up without my knowing because the floors are all non-carpeted and any wetness on the furniture would be obvious as well (even after it had dried). The only thing a little abnormal was her poop: there was a little more than normal, and some of it was shaped differently. Instead of the normal tootsie-roll type poops, there were about half of those and then about half that were skinnier and longer and a few were connected together (sort of like sausage links), so I'm thinking maybe they were slightly runny OR she's been licking herself so much that they were hairball-y. They were dried so it was hard to tell. They were definitely formed, though; not large flat round plops like I would expect if she had diarrhea. But even if they were extra wet, there weren't enough of them to account for all the missing water. My only possible explanation: Yesterday was probably the warmest day we've had here in Minnesota so far and I have yet to put the A/C on, so the windows were open with fans blowing, but it was still close to 80 degrees in the house. It's humid here, though, so I wouldn't expect a lot of evaporation from the bowl, but there was possibly more 'evaporation' from the cat...? She didn't seem uncomfortably warm and she wasn't panting, but she was licking herself more often, which I know is one way cats sweat and/or cool off. I was perspiring just sitting here at my desk, so I imagine the furball must have been losing more water than normal also. But enough to make her nearly empty the bowl?? It had to be easily twice what she normally drinks. Looking at her numbers, nothing seems off, at least not more than normal for this week. She's still on only 1u of Vetsulin right now after a near hypo (dropped from 408 to 134 by +3 and hit a low of 59 at +5) last weekend when I tried to bump her from 1.25u to 1.5u. I was planning to bring her back up to 1.25u at her evening dose tonight when I'd be home to do the curve and watch for hypo signs. The 1u has kept her in the range of 150-170 for lows and generally 350-390 for highs, but her AMPS this morning was only 321, which makes the excess water drinking even more odd to me. If the water drinking was Polydipsia, I would expect that her AMPS would be high, but she's had pre-shot numbers of 400+ here and there over the past few weeks (not in a row, just sporadically) without any extra water drinking, so I am clueless as to the cause.

Any ideas?

PS. I know I don't have a spreadsheet posted yet...I just found the spreadsheet link and instructions last weekend when I posted here for the first time and I haven't had time to convert my rudimentary spreadsheet to the new format yet. It is on my To Do list for the long weekend. :D There really is nothing notable that I can see, though, except that 1u is too low of a dose, which I already knew. I just wanted it to settle in for the 3 days before I upped it, and I wanted to make sure I'd be available for several days of curves after upping it, which meant tonight would be her first higher dose.

2. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

I have a civvie who pushes the water bowl across the floor until it is splashed empty. I could be that the fans dried the dispersed water. I now keep my water bowl next to the sink so he can only spill it down the drain :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.