Which BG Meter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bethany Viviano, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethany Viviano

Bethany Viviano New Member

Hi all!

Niccolo was diagnosed this afternoon with probably diabetes. They did a urine test which to confirm that it was not just stress, the results will be back tomorrow. However, the number was 457, so Im assuming that it was not just stress and acquainting myself with feline diabetes so I can have my vet answer 100 questions tomorrow.

That all being said, the first thing I need to know is which BG meter should I be looking at? All of the suggestions I have found so far are either from old posts and the meter is no longer made, or when I go to research them have absolutely horrible reviews.

Affordability is a concern, but I would be willing to pay a bit more for better accuracy.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I use the Alphatrak which is a pet meter and probably what your vet uses. Very expensive to use unless you use insulinx strips.

Many here use Walmart brand Relion micro or confirm meter which is a human meter but much less for test strips.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I have also been looking at the insulinx strips for use in the Alphatrak 2. I am wondering about the coding, the Freestyle Insulinx meter ads no coding, but Alphatrak 2 strips with meter require a code. How does that work?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us here use the Relion Confirm or Micro from WalMart due to the fact that the pet meters are so expensive to use and the Relion's take the tiniest sample size and are affordable to use.

The main difference is in your "Take action" level.....for a human meter, it's below 50....on a pet meter, it's below 68.

All our protocols were also written using human meters, so we're very used to dealing with the numbers from human meters

beggargirl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.