? which chart for WERUVA new food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mouse & Me, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

Weruva has a new line of pate food.
    Slide N' Serve
    On their website, http://weruva.com/weruva-sns-nutrition.php, there are two charts: one for protein, fat & carbs, it measures the percentage of calories coming from protein, fat and carbohydrates.

the other,As fed measures nutrients based upon their overall percentage in a formula., is: protein, fat, moisture, ash, carbs, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium potassium, sodium, fiber.

The two differ in the amount of carbs.
    Now, if I were to use one of the carb calculators, I would be using the second chart ingredients. So, do I use the second chart?

The second chart has much lower carbs!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

They give you the ME profile which I believe is what Dr P says you want.. no calculation needed.

3. FurBabiesMama

Yes, I verified. This is what she says to ask for when contacting companies: “I would like to know the percentage of calories that come from protein, fat, and carbohydrates.” This is also known as the “metabolizable energy (ME) profile.” https://catinfo.org/commercial-cat-foods/#contacting

So, Weruva is actually publishing that info so that you do not have to request it or do any calculations. Now, if ALL cat food companies would be so kind!

Esi likes this.
  4. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

Rats..I will save the higher carbs for emergency nights. Apparently, the chicken breast, "Family Feud" is 0% on the chart. Good for late night snack, very convenient!
    Weruva sent me a variety pack of the slide N serve pouches, as a good will gesture, when I was upset over the recipe changes. I had placed an order on Chewy, the website did not show the changes in the food, and when I got the flat of new type cans, well, I was a little upset.

5. FurBabiesMama

Have you opened any of them yet? I am curious about the texture.

6. FurBabiesMama

I was a little interested in the chicken one but I just noticed the protein is a bit low and the fat a bit high on it. Phooey.

7. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

I tried the chicken one on her twice, and her numbers continued to go low. That one is a success, at least, for Mouse.

8. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

I hope you don't mind my asking, why bother with the carb calculator at all, if we only need the three basic ingredients, protein, fat, & carb?
    I'm not arguing, just trying to understand, so in the future, when, not if, other companies change their recipe, how do I judge the carb content : three ingredients, or use the carb calculator?
    If I was using the calculator, I would be getting a much lower number for carbs. Its so confusing

9. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

Texture is slimy, so it can slide out of the pouch in one piece.

I add water to all foods, including this one. I'm glad I'm not the one eating it!

10. FurBabiesMama

The % of carbs from calories is what you want, also known as the metabolize energy (ME) profile. Most of the time, food companies do NOT give you that information. It is amazing that Weruva does because it is extremely rare. When that is not provided is when you have to do calculations. A lot of the time, companies only give the guaranteed analysis info which is just maximum and minimums. Sometimes, they give the dry matter info, and occasionally the 'as fed' info.

All of this confusion is explained on Dr. Pierson's site: https://catinfo.org/commercial-cat-foods/

Esi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.