Whiska's Tender Bites

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna & Doogle, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Doogle

Donna & Doogle Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone knows the carb count on the Whiska's Tender Bites. They come in Turkey & Giblets in Juices, Chicken Dinner in juices, Beef in juices, Ocean Whitefish and Tuna in Juices. According to the site it has approximately 77-80 kcals per 3.5-oz. (85 g) pouch. I was just curious if this is a LC and MC?

Donna

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello.
    The only way to know for cetain is to write the company and ask for all the nutritional values however,
    All the whiskas on the binky list are 10% or higher ( just some seafood slushes that were low) .
    The calories are lower because it' a pouch and not a can so it's just a smaller portion.

All of the similar titles for the can food were in the 16% carb range so you are really rolling the dice and mostly likely
    have a higher carb food.

Print yourself a copy of these two links to shop.

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html
    http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html

Go to the carb % column and look for foods that have no more than 8% or less and highlight them with a colored marker.
    Carry the list with you and shop that way.

I believe that you really need to change foods asap.
    I bet you'll see an improvement on blood sugar right away, at least 100 lower.

You will also need to lower insulin dosage and be vigilant over your cat to make sure you don't have a hypo reaction.
    You need Ketostix to check urine for ketones .
    What insulin are you on? What is your dosage?
    You will want us watching with you as you make these changes.

Whiskas does not say grain free so the juices are misleading. You don't know what you have.
    Please Please ask more questions about what to watch for as you change to a better food.

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

whoops. I see your chart and Lantus and your dose.

Yes, the food could very well be contribution to your higher numbers there.
    Your are monitoring it all very well.
    I think you just need to let those here guide you so you can get better results.

You need to re-post with a subject heading like, or even just go edit this listing to
    Please advise- need help switching foods
    and you will get more attention.

4. CoatCheckGirl

CoatCheckGirl Member

Though I am not that familiar with Whiskas Tender Bites, I am going to presume what they mean by "juices" is actually gravy. Anything with gravy is generally very high with carbs.

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I took a look at the ingredients, and this food is likely high carb because one of the ingredients is "starch". Starch is a large source of carbohydrates. It doesn't even specify what kind of starch is being added, so it's probably the cheapest starch source they could find. I would not feed this food even if it was low carb--if they're not saying what kind of starch it is, it's probably something that has no business being in cat food.

6. Donna & Doogle

Donna & Doogle Well-Known Member

I dont feed Doogle the Tender Bites at all, I just saw them at the store and wondered about them. Doogle only gets Fancy Feast Pates and maybe the chunk chicken or turkey once in awhile. He will eat the civies (12 of them) Friskies, but they are all LC too. I was just curious about them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.