Whitie Update & Pincushion Ears

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DenaAndSmudge, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

My white cat earned another reduction this week! Oops that reminds me to update our signature line of our new dose :) Still at work today, but will get some good data this weekend.

My main question today is what to do to help his poor little ears? Is it just because he is white that they look so scabby and bad? I tend to test in the same part of the ear near the lobe, and its like the scabs never heal. When I test near the top it bleeds so much and one little poke and he has a new scab :( Does everyone have the same problem? Is there anything I can do to help him heal? Thanks for any input, I have searched and can't find any suggestions.
    Dena

2. missMeows

missMeows Well-Known Member

Hi Dena!

We use Neosporine on our kitties ears. Have you tried that? When I test my kitty's ears, I then squeeze the site to stop the bleeding then add a dab of Neosporine. Her ears are black though so I don't worry about them looking red, but as long as I "squeeze and dab", they don't scab over.

I'd also switch ears each time, if you don't do that already, and try to test at a slightly different spot on the ear throughout the day. I start lower on the ear and slowly make my way toward the tip as the day progresses.

3. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

I have not tried that, but I will start today. Thanks for the tip @missMeows

4. Erika&Harrycat

Erika&Harrycat Member

My cats ears looks like he's been in a few alley fights himself. I feel so bad. I also try to massage his ears before I test to make his blood get going. I also use neosporine before I prick him and it helps with the blood beading.

5. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

awww poor Harry :( I see how beat up my guy is getting and it's only been a few months. I can't imagine what a few years might do. But he is safe and healthier for it so...maybe I will get him a hoop...or a diamond stud... LOL

Erika&Harrycat likes this.
  6. Erika&Harrycat

Erika&Harrycat Member

Omg! I have been doing it for two weeks. So scary to think about years! Hahaha!!! I think a stud would accent his coloring puuurfect! Lol

DenaAndSmudge likes this.
  7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Make sure you get the Neosporin with pain relief. That will help it not bother his ears so much.

8. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

I too used the Neosporin, with pain relief. That did help alot. I also pressed firmly on the test site, to stop bleeding, and he to did not scar. I also used the smallest gauge lancet tat i could, I believe we had the 31 gauge, smaller "hole" in theory. He did however have these "elevated" areas, like small ridges, where I tested. I'd change spots on his ear, and those areas would heal too. We were at this for five years, and in all that time, those poor ears saw alot, but with the ointment and the pressure and the moving around a little on the test spot, his did OK.

Good luck!

9. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you holding something against the pokie place for 20-30 seconds afterwards? Doing that is the same as the nurse holding a cotton ball in your elbow joint after a blood draw or putting a bandaid on it. The pressure will help seal the hole instead of letting it continue to seep blood which makes scabs. Doc has been 'pokied' in the same general area many times for well over 4 years now - yes there's a lump in that area but it's not a sore. If someone didn't know and looked at his ears, they'd never notice.

I third the neosporin with pain relief...

10. DenaAndSmudge

DenaAndSmudge New Member

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  11. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Like Michelle, I always applied firm pressure for a few seconds after the poke. That prevents bruising and scabbing. I put on a generous quantity of Neosporin with Pain Relief ointment every night and wiped off any that remained in the morning. You don't want Smudge to eat it, though, so if you see him wiping it off, use less. Punkin was tested for 2.5 years and every vet commented on how perfect his ears looked. You'd never know he got them poked as many as 20 times in a day.

I'd also move back up on his ear because testing low on his ear may be hitting cartilage.

You might find some other helpful tips in the Testing and Shooting Tips - lots of great ideas there.

12. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Since he's white, when the light's behind it, you'll likely begin seeing a 'red spot' but that's the new capillaries growing in that area.

My first soulmate cat of 20 years was white, I'll always hold a soft place in my heart for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.