Why are his numbers going UP post-injection?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ReaAnn & Big Hoss, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

Hello -
    I'm new to feline diabetes and would like some help deciphering what I'm seeing with Hoss' BG numbers this first week on insulin.

First, some background - he was diagnosed one week ago today. He was put on 2U Lantus 2x a day. We started insulin last Friday evening. I started testing the next day, on Saturday, but it took a few days to get better at it, buy a new meter that worked better for us and start getting into a routine. I've been getting more "regular" tests the last few days. During the workweek, M-F, due to my work & commute schedule, I will only be able to test Hoss pre-shot (5:30 AM), pre-shot (5:30 PM) and before bed, which will be about 3.5 hours after his PM shot. Today, I'm working from home, so I'm doing my first BG curve. I plan on doing a curve once every weekend. At least until he's regulated or in remission.

As you'll see from his spreadsheet, his numbers are staying very high. Hoss free-feeds, so I've never gotten a test where he's truly been fasted for 8 or 12 hours. But even just looking at trends, I'm confused by what I'm seeing today. Pre-shot at 5:30 this morning, he was at 287. I don't believe he had eaten much if anything for a couple of hours prior to that shot. But he ate a good meal after I tested and before I shot him. But 2 hours later he was at 370 and now at +4 he's at 451!! And I know he hasn't eaten for about the last 3 hours because he's been asleep. Shouldn't his numbers be going DOWN post-injection? I thought I read with Lantus they're usually at their lowest around 6 hours post-injection. If that's the case, you would think his numbers would have started to decline since he'll be +6 in about an hour and a half from now.

Can someone please take a look at his spreadsheet and let me know what you think is going on? I'm baffled.

Thanks!
    ReaAnn

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning RaeAnn. I suggest you post in the Lantus forum so that the most experienced members using that insulin can see your concerns and questions and get back to you. LANTUS
    If you like you can just copy your message, and start a new thread in Lantus and paste the message there. :bighug:

3. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

OK, thanks! Will do! Still getting the hang of the message board. :)

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A flat curve or rising curve can mean that the dose is too high.I would reduce to one unit and see if there is an improvement.

Adam Flowers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.