? Why are we going backwards?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margie and Jackson, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

it seems like the more insulin I give Jackson, the higher his numbers get. He is eating small meals and that may be why he has such a gentle curve. Or nonexistent curve so far tonight. Is he just waiting for a higher dose? Do you think he requires a higher dose because he was untreated for a long time or because my insulin is bad? It looks fine, and I’ve babied the pen, but one wonders.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Margie and Jackson
    Just a couple of things first before I comment on the SS.
    If you are keeping the insulin in the frig and it is only a month old, I’m sure it is ok.
    I see on the SS you are using the alphatrak meter. Would you mind putting that in the signature please as it is important to us which type of meter you are using.
    Also have you looked at the two dosing methods we use here. The Start LowGo Slow method (SLGS) and the Tight Regulation (TR). You will find them at the top of the Lantus page in a yellow sticky. Have a read and see which one suits your better. By using one of these two methods it will be far easier to get on track. When you have decided, pop the one you will follow into the signature as well as we always check the signature and the SS when we are helping.
    It is wonderful you adopted an FD kitty. It looks like he has only been on insulin for a month.. is that correct? So it is early days and most cats take a while to settle into having the insulin and having a response. So try not to get disheartened.
    Are you giving him food at other times of the day apart from Preshot time? We suggest also giving a good snack around +3 and + 5 or +6 both cycles. Is he a good eater?
    I notice you are not always testing before every shot. Is that because you have been unable to get any blood or he is difficult?
    Also if you could get some tests in during the pm cycle, that would be helpful to fill in the puzzle.
    Also use the remarks column in the SS to add things such as food given, how he looks/ feels, what you thought etc.
    He may need more insulin but first choose a method you want to follow and we can go from there. Print it off to read as you go along.
    Keep asking questions. Post daily and we will help you get him sorted.
    Are you giving him Zobaline for the neuropathy?

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  3. Margie and Jackson

I’m following slgs now. I was following my vet’s advice. She’s great, but I think she is not as experienced with diabetes as I would hope, and I like the slow incremental pace of slgs. She tends to increase and decrease in half units.

He’s been on insulin since March. He was on 2 units at the shelter, but he wasn’t yet well regulated.
    Jackson is long-suffering and patient. I feel terrible that I have to poke him all the time. His ears get bruised. I know many here feel multiple daily tests are essential, but he clearly is not going to be hypoglycemic on the current dose, so I believe it is ok to skip some of the monitoring. I should probably do more and I need to buy a ReliOn, I’ve just had a busy week.

I guess it sounds like you believe he just needs more time. In a way, it seems better that his curve is shallow, rather than bouncing around like a lot of cats do. Thanks for the reply.

4. Margie and Jackson

He is getting zobaline and his neuropathy is slowly improving!