Why Do I Keep Giving Fur Shots!?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rusty14, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rusty14

Rusty14 Member

Me again!
    At least twice or more a week, Rus ends up smelling of insulin!
    He was (IS when he's higher) so difficult to test, and also inject!
    I have always tried to be calm and gentle, yet he freaks as soon as grab his scruff or the areas I've been told to shoot (except his leg section - no WAY!) He throws his head back, or even to the side once I'm in, but I'll end up with a bent needle, and a missed shot!
    Has anyone experienced this with their kitty?
    I simply HATE fur shots, and my first reckless thought is to add a little more! Of course l don't, but I get so pissed at myself!
    Please help if you can.
    Alwats appreciated...Thanx.♡

mts1960 likes this.
  2. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

Are you giving him a treat while you shoot him? I give Snick a treat and as soon as she starts to eat them I pull up her fur, and then I hesitate for just a moment to make sure she is still into her goodies and then I shoot. That way if she jerks I'm not pushing the plunger yet and I can steer her to her goodies. Some cats will let you shoot while they eat, Snick won't but she will while eating her treats.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Are you using the roll method described in the Testing and Shooting Tips? And making sure the bevel side of the syringe goes in first?

I try to make shooting time part of cuddle time. Lots of scritches before and afterwards. Some people shoot while kitties head is in the dinner bowl and distracted.

I hate fur shots too - they usually come in groups of three for me. :mad:

Kiara likes this.
  4. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Following for advice, because I suck at shots (forever grateful to hubby for being the household shooter).

5. Rusty14

Rusty14 Member

Both of your suggestions l do! Especially when he's eating. But the treat doesn't work on the testing, yet haven't tried it with the shot. I will. But he KNOWS when l fool anywhere on his neck, he's getting an injection! I know it's just fear, but l can tell when it goes in, cause he jumps alittle from the cold. Then I know it's all good.
    Cats know alot more than we ( l ) thought! They know when testing time's coming, and more so, insulin time!
    I'll try the treats, although he gobbles them fast, and keep you posted!
    Thanx girls!♡

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You may not be giving a fur shot. There's often insulin at the base of the needle from when you're adjusting the dose. That may be what you're smelling. As for a bent needle, are you hitting Rusty's shoulder blade? If you're poking into bone, it also may be why he jumps. See if you do any better with a shorter needle.

I'd also do more "fooling" with his neck when he's not going to get a shot. Give him a treat or food when you do and that may help to decondition him.

7. Kiara

Kiara Member

I'm still pretty new here, but I have a veeeeerrry squirmy cat. I can speak to what's been working for us.

@Wendy&Neko the roll method SAVED this whole process for me. I ended up with 6mm needles and a squirmy kitty, and the roll method is doing wonders. I just mix it in with lots of pets and cuddles, and practice making the roll outside of shot time so he never knows when it's coming. :)

Some mornings, Billy is restless (read: off the walls with energy and playfulness) and won't sit still or steaming mad. I just have to walk away and come back in 10 minutes. I learned the hard way from trying to force the process that I end up bleeding and cat goes under the bed. I went to work meetings last week with scratches on my hand, chest and neck lol. Since then we've had two squirmy mornings and I've delayed by 5-10 and tried to be extra soothing and calm.

My friend had some success doing a kitty burrito on mornings her sugar cat fought the shot... she would put him in a towel, but that just aggravates Billy even more.

Lastly, like @Sienne and Gabby mentioned, a shorter needle might actually help. With the 12.7 mm needle, I went right through the fur a few times. The roll method and a short needle make the jabs SO quick and easy.

8. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

When Boomer first was diagnosed last year I gave a few fur shots; I found I was hurrying too much in case he moved. Then I started having my husband help by holding him and I'm able to go slower and make sure I don't push the plunger before the needle is actually in!

9. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

the treat I used was raw shrimp, hard to wolf that down, even tho' mine had no teeth...

try to use a little positive thinking too....visualize yourself doing it successfully before you shoot.... it helps get your mind in the right frame
    to "get'r'done" quickly.
    when mine would get too fidgety.... i moved back to the scruff and I would kind of pinch the tent ( which helps them feel it less) , pulling it up a little more .... and check that bevel position before you even start.

i also would have a little insulin on the syringe from pushing the excess out to get the dose right....
    it would catch on that rim where the needle comes out....
    depending on your syringes, you might have that too.... so a tiny drip may be what you are smelling as well.

10. missMeows

missMeows Well-Known Member

Do you have a special test and shoot spot? That has helped immensely for us. I put a towel down on the kitchen table and now kitty jumps up (usually) right away. I also never hide the needle from her. I like her to know what's coming but know that seeing that needle means breakfast/dinner time. I give her her meal and give lots of pets and rubs to get her used to being touched, then shoot. She barely flinches now. Also, a shorter needle might help as others have mentioned. I've been thinking of doing that myself since, well, we all do fur shots. :rolleyes:

Good luck!!!

11. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Doodles goes through sprits of flinching/ wanting to move etc. When he's like that frankly I become a little alpha and tell him "we have to do this". Also I use to give shots below the shoulder/scruff area but have moved to the lower back where the skin is thinner. Just keep doing what you're doing....

12. Rusty14

Rusty14 Member

Oh my! Lots of help! I love it!
    Today, I gave him a couple treats (although he usually just wolfs 'em down!) and he didn't even notice what l was doing! :) Worked great!
    And yes, I DO try to hurry, so he can't move before I'm done, but that only makes it worse.
    The needle-bent has happened to others I've spoke to, and it's when l was trying for the scruff at first, and he would simply jerk his head back, and I'd end up with a bent needle! I thought I was shooting insulin into his brain, yet l know the needles aren't long enough for that! ;)
    Probably just muscle under that thick scruff!
    Anyway, sure do appreciate all your support! I'm alone, so nobody here to hold him when l shoot!
    Again, thanx to all, and I will read up on the 'roll method' and continue giving treats while it's insulin time!♡

Darcy and Jonesy and Suzi_S like this.
  13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

If I had a dollar for every fur shot I've given, I'd be a millionaire! It gets easier, but it's hard to avoid them completely. Hang in there!

Ella & Rusty

14. Rusty14

Rusty14 Member

I hear that, Ella! ;)
    We'd all be rich, from what I've read on here!
    Seems I try to hurry, thinking that way it's in and out. NOPE! Bam! That head turns, or jerks back so quick, it's unbelievable! Yet, if he's low, and/or sleepy, he doesn't even FEEL it. So I think it's a control thing, along with fear, as with the testing.
    Thanx for your input!
    My Rusty says Hi to your Rusty! ♡♡

15. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

Hi!
    Just putting in my two cents :) I also found that when I went to a shorter needle, the fur shots have pretty much disappeared! I think because the needle is SO short, that I'm not afraid to go too deeply. I pretty much put it in as far as it will go and bam . . . shoot.
    Mind you, that said, I'm uber lucky to have an old boy that is too tired (read: lazy ;) ) to put up a fight much anymore! heehee
    Sounds like you're getting the hang of it!! wootwoot!
    Darcy

16. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

I do the exact opposite - I fuss around trying to get the perfect position, trying to part her fur perfectly, then trying to get the perfect angle for the needle... by the time I'm actually ready to shoot, she's got the sh!ts with me fiddling around with her so much that she does the tail swish thing and sometimes even the growly thing (which is generally unusual for her). Hubby, on the other hand, is in and out before she even knows what's hit her, so for all our sakes it's good that he does the shots!

Darcy and Jonesy likes this.
  17. Rusty14

Rusty14 Member

You girls crack me up!
    Nice to hear from Canada and Australia!
    Thanx so much for joining in!
    Gotta go, perhaps we'll chat again!
    Nite-nite. ♡♡

18. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

When I started I thought I was giving a lot of fur shots due to the excess insulin on the outside of the syringe causing that smell. Then I started using a tissue to blot it off before I shoot. Turned out I wasn't giving as many fur shots as I'd thought.

Hope you are having a nice sleep :)

19. missMeows

missMeows Well-Known Member

OMG! Fantastic idea! Can't believe I didn't think of this. :facepalm: Sometimes I wonder if fur shot or insulin on needle and just hope it's the later. Now I'll know :)

Vyktors Mum and Darcy and Jonesy like this.
  20. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Some beans have shaved the cat between the shoulders, especially long haired cats so you can see where you are injecting. We never did because Zener had thin fur anyway. And some may not want to see the needle go in. :eek:
    Liz

Kiara likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.